advertisement

Quite a surprise!

NeilK

pfm Member
I often do some headphone listening - not as seriously as in the past as I sold my expensive kit some time ago and now use iFi Zen signature DAC and amp with either Sennheiser 650s (a real favourite) or Beyer 1770 pros. One of the amps I used to like was the Rupert Neve RNHP.
I thought I'd look to purchase one again but a on a whim bought a "Rod Rain" clone from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19563214...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Even with the customs charge (caught, sadly!) it is quite a bargain - the included PSU is pretty rubbish and gets a little hot so I purchased a reasonable replacement. It is seriously good - in fact it sounds identical to my recollection of the original.

IMG_2429 by , on Flickr

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've always fancied a go with the original Neve, even though I know exactly what it is made-of (an implementation of Texas Instruments TPA6120a2 headphone driver, with some glue logic to do other things nicely) ; something very appealing about the no-nonsense design.

Actually @NeilK - I think it was you I bought a McCormack Micro Integrated Drive from, many years ago.
Now that remains utterly bloody awesome! Esp now it has a PSU to do justice to it; and one small internal layout mis-step sorted.

* which fixes the slight IMD/ THD rise in the stereophile review, beyond contention: hammers them flat in fact. All it takes is the removal of one part per channel!

Yes @martin clark , I believe it was - in fact, along with some dpa kit it's pretty much on top of my "ought not to have sold that" list. Very interesting that you have improved it.
The simple but effective nature of the RNHP attracted me to it - it wasn't a 'wow, that's different' piece of kit, it just did most things right- not the last word in power, but lovely.

advertisement

Back