advertisement

Question pink fishes?

Played the trumpet for a few years, got through Gd 8 and started LRAM but then started having to work for a living, Butlins weren't going to pay much so alternative career beckoned.
Did loads of orchestral, chamber orchestra and military band repertoire, a bit of tradish jazz and swing; still tingle when i hear some Harryn James tracks. Love Erik Truffaz.
Had a few years on Alto sax including a few jazz workshops which were fun but required vast amounts of brain power which i never mastered.
I restarted piano a few years ago but my fingers don't work like they did at A Level age.

8623412283_b5bab593b5_s.jpg

When I started playing, these were so cheap and was able to pick one up.

Has had a head stock break many years ago, but still one of my all time favourite guitars from Gibson.

Richard

Do drums count? If so, I play drums. If not, I play guitar (badly, but it keeps me amused).

Guitar, Bass, Clarinet, Alto Sax and also have things like a flute and penny whistle and bongos.... WELL out of practise on everything these days though!

PS I see I'm not the only one to have an oscilloscope as a regular part of my system!

I play guitar. I used to play it quite well though for many years of neglect means I struggle nowadays. I also played piano to Grade 5 but a long time ago and this is even worse than the guitar playing now :)

Willie

Used to play guitar quite well. Hardly pick it up now. Like riding a bike though, wobbly at first, but it comes back. I'm very wobbly on the guitar now !!

Is there a point to this thread?

I think there is an interesting point here. I know John Lubbock, director of the Orchestra of St John Smith's Square, and once asked him what he played music on at home. He has a very cheap one box system and doesn't like or play recorded music.

I realised a long while ago that I'm a listener rather than a player - One of the reasons my guitar playing is so poor is that I'd rather put on a record and listen to someone else than practice. I've often found that friends who are professional musicians have rather narrow tastes when listening to music at home. Those with more eclectic and wide ranging tastes tend not to play music to that high a level.

That's a pretty sweeping generalisation, of course, and I'm sure there are exceptions here but I wonder if the obsession with hi fi and the holy grail of capturing the best possible sound tends to attract more non musicians.

Kevin

advertisement

Back