advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

Get it right and you will not be disappointed :cool:
You will be able to thrash this amp all day long and you do not need special speaker cable
This is my recommendation, take it or leave it :D
  • You already have the excellent NCC220 building block
  • Add 2 minicap6
  • Don't skimp on the transformer, the HN5 & 6 are excellent and also give you the option of going voyager in the future (ask for 50hz and 240v primary)#
  • Get the Modushop Pesanti disapanti 4U full width case x 400mm deep 3mm aluminium panels and 10mm front panel and proper heat sinks with vertical vanes on the side, this provides perfect cooling for the amps bolted to the side heat sinks and the 400mm deep gives you the option to add the HCR-200 and an extra minicap6 in the future
  • Here is a typical example of an ongoing project amp in my workshop ATM, 2 x NCC220, 2 x HCR200, HN6 tranny (50hz), 4 minicap6 modu shop case
IMG_4030 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Alan

I'd be a fool not to follow your recommendation! Thank you for your advice. A big case to start with complete with the correct cooling, large enough for future upgrades does indeed seem the most sensible option! Thank you :)

I requested a quote from Terry at Canterbury Windings a couple of days back as this seems to be for the NCC220 (Think I found this in a hackernap thread)

Continuous power rating: 818VA
Primary: UK: 0-240V @ 50Hz
Electrostatic screen
Secondary 1: 35-0-35V @ 5A rms
Secondary 2: 35-0-35V @ 5A rms
Secondary 3: 42-0-42V @ 0.7A rms
Secondary 4: 42-0-42V @ 0.7A rms
GOSS band
Dimensions: approx 160x75mm
Mounting: M8x30mm bush
In a potted centre
Heavy gauge leadouts

Last edited:
damn I wish i had done my research my case is way too small

I was only looking to clone my existing amp now i see there is a whole other avenue with regulation!

so do the latest NCC300 incorporate regulation then?

I am kind of lost now the plan was to make 2 matching amps but now I know there can be further improvements grrrr.

think short term will be 2 ncc200 amps maybe swap the transformer in the original amp for a quieter better grade.

for future upgrades a pair of minicap6, a transformer looking at the specs only needs to be a modest output? looking at the pics I have seen not a toriod? and either a VBE or HCR200 or change the whole boards for NCC300?

I'd be a fool not to follow your recommendation! Thank you for your advice. A big case to start with complete with the correct cooling, large enough for future upgrades does indeed seem the most sensible option! Thank you :)

Thats it exactly you are future proofing your investment, as the case and transformer are expensive parts, you could even squeeze a pair of NCC300s in this case and they have their own FE regulation built in ;)

Brill, thanks! For info, i guess you know this, but might help others, back panel details for a 10 euro swapout on the case here which is an interesting option if the holes suit the stuff you cant be bothered to cut out.

Ordered Dissipanite 4U with the inner base plate, antivibration feet... didnt know whether feet were included (but if the UK ever has an earhquake...my amp will be fine... everyones without these go unstable ;) jk ), so in for a pound right lol... well almost 2 stone in weight, and the rear panel swapout with factory holes in it was also a bargain at 10 euro ish. Thanks so much for the help Alan. :)

Last edited:
I get that, just why the snipped legs on a new board? :) Did the transition from the board to the heatsink happen between 2018 and now I guess? The question is, why was there ever a transistor in the original TR5 hole on these new boards to get snipped legs?

Good one Alan, I get it, the board is tested with TR5 fitted in its 'hot' previous position without output transistors as to not risk them, if all ok, then output tranistors and heatsink fitted and TR5 moved to heatsink. Thanks for explaining! All makes sense now. :) :)

Ciao a tutti
Sono nuovo nel gruppo e mi sono appena avvicinato al mondo NCC
Dove posso trovare le carte CAP6 e minicap6?

I posted this elsewhere on PFM, but I haven't had a response so thought I would try here too: Back in October, I replaced the regulator and amp modules in my Naim 250 (circa 1984) with Avondale Audio HCR200 Regulator Modules and NCC220 Qudos Audiophile Power Amplifier Modules. I'm quite pleased with how the amp sounds, but I have question about something that seems odd to me. At idle (that is, with no music being played), the amp case feels quite warm to touch (I tend to leave it on most of the time). Not hot, just warm. However, after the amp has been playing for awhile the temperature drops enough that the case feels cool to the touch.
Is there any explanation for this behavior? Should I be concerned? FWIW, the voltage was set by Les before he shipped the boards to me (I'm not sure to what value).

advertisement

Back