advertisement

Quality compact choice

ex brickie

pfm Member
On IQ quality alone how much difference is there between each of the Fuji X100 models (100/100S/100T) and the Leica X1 and Digilux 2?

I realise this list covers cameras many years apart and new technology but the Digilux images on the web seemed pretty good to me. I'd pay a bit more for better IQ

I'll read up on the other pros and cons based on responses here but I'm after a really decent IQ compact for the first time. Then I'll weigh up the value for money argument for myself (in other words, if one is close to another on IQ and a lot cheaper I'll save my money).

Use will be mainly outdoors but will be some use inside (eg gloomy markets) or grey miserable days, dark buildings etc where capturing the mood in detail will be important.

Are you looking at purely image quality alone in a new camera? I have no experience with the Digilux 2 but I will say that the X1 when I had it had more than comparable image quality with the first generation X1 that I had in most areas other then high iso/low light situations. I can only imagine that the X100/X1 would be far superior than the Digilux 2 in both image quality and functionality.

Where the Fuji moves ahead is in its later models in that they would be better than the X1 (that is in less than ideal lighting situations - on a bright day and for most things unless you are pixel peeping a modern phone would create great image quality) and also the autofocus would be fair superior with faster response times in camera.

check out my sony alpha 6000 thread. great starting point and you can then go crazy with leica lenses if a bit more is required.

btw--i use fuji and leica. the sony may become my "carry around" camera.

I'm a long time Leica user, but the only one of the cameras you've mentioned that I've used is the Digilux 2.To be honest I didn't like the electronic viewfinder - too much lag. If I were you I'd try to at least handle the cameras before you buy.

One should of course bear in mind that the Digilux 2 came out in 2003.

I had a D-Lux Typ 109 for a while (aka the Panasonic LX-100) which is a super little camera. It's also not in its first flush of youth, but the results were surprisingly good.

For IQ though I'd go for the Fuji X100 in any of its forms. Each newer generation has become increasingly less frustrating in how it operates, but for IQ the original is still superb.

Hi Gromit

Take your point re the age of the Digilux 2 but I was surprised how good the IQ seemed from the SteveHuff review. Certainly a decent step up from what I get from my TZ-9.

As others say , pictures are only any good if you take the camera out. I need to get back into it and some better IQ without spending a fortune would inventivise me. But needs to be reasonably small

I also have a Nikon D70s + lenses but I rarely use them because of the bulk.

Thanks for the link. However it is a guide to the latest new cameras when I'm hoping to save quite a bit by buying decent secondhand

I've now read a few DP reviews and the differences between the Fuji x100 variants. I'm certain the S version would meet my needs for IQ. The Leica X1 review looked great too but that seems to be a bit older yet more expensive than the Fujis

I had a D-Lux Typ 109 for a while (aka the Panasonic LX-100) which is a super little camera. It's also not in its first flush of youth, but the results were surprisingly good.

This is my carry around if I want more than just a mobile phone (which is surprisingly good) - the Leica version takes excellent photos.

advertisement

Back