advertisement

Quality 8ohm and 16ohm L Pads wanted

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
Anyone know a source for some really good L pads - 30W should be suffice?

Anything that is variable probably won’t be of the highest quality. I'd suggest the best route is to buy some cheap resistors separately and try a few combinations. Once you know the values you like get some higher grade ones.

Simon, I want variable, otherwise I'd simply use a resistor or two. I've got used to them now. And the speakers fitted with them are better than 99.5% of speakers that leave them out ;-)

You mean you like the adjustability, or that you think it actually makes the sound better having an L-Pad in the signal path?

Don't you just leave the level where it is after a while of tweaking anyway?

Either way, I'm sure Falcon Components useed to sell them, but I can't see it on the site now. Send an email thair way. http://www.falcon-components.co.uk/

I like the adjustability Simon, both for when moving home and furniture, and also for experimenting.

My tweeter only covers the top octave, so adjustment allows tailoring for hearing loss, and also for the liveness of the room and reflections. Agreed, you can do without them if I live in the same place and keep the same furniture for the life of the speaker. But it does make sense. My hearing in the top octave will be considerably different yo yours for instance.

I haven't found the existing ones too harmful sonically - except for Bottleneck playing with them and making me think my system was a bit bright for weeks! All sorted now though. I've found some pads at Parts Express and might also be able to get some direct from JBL in France.

Thanks for the link though.

I thought you were going for a big compression horn from 800Hz up? Or is this for some other speakers? I'm quite keen to hear all about your build.

Simon , in one of the speakers the horn will crossover to a beryllium compression slot via 3rd order passive at 8khz. In the other it runs out with Eq to about 18khz.

I'm lost now, are you not going to build each speaker the same? Won’t that give really bad imaging? ;)

Are you building two different sets to see which you like more or something?

My place is a bit over-run with drivers at the moment and is only going to get worse! Its quite fun to try them all out.

I'm building two sets yes, but one budget pair and one cost no object. The budget pair is a bit of fun really - a learning experience, and I'll post something about them once I have all the bits here. I'm currently missing one of the horns.

Why not buy some good-quality switches, eg Elna 1-pole 12-way, and wire-in a range of values of good-quality resistors exactly as you would for a stepped attenuator - just re-scale for low impedance. You probably need only a 2 or 3db range end-to-end to fine-tune anyway.

It would be the work of seconds to add R in parallel later if you need to split a step. The stray capacitance would be about 7-8 orders of magnitude below anything in the crossover, and even a cheap switch will have no problems with the peak 1-2amp AC you'll feed through it

advertisement

Back