advertisement

Quality 24v dc power adapter needed

gints

pfm Member
Can somebody, please, advise on known decent quality ac/dc power supply, adapter. 24v, not much amperes. It is for Teac tn-4d turntable, would like to get one before I get back home to try change original power adapter.
I think turntable has too much background noise. Do not know if it is has anything to do with power supply, so nothing fancy and overexpensive. There are so many, do not want to pick one blind.
With adjustable voltage is also acceptable, maybe could be usable to have one at home.

Back ground noise on the TT is unlikely to be related to the power supply. What kind of back ground noise is it? Are you talking about surface noise from the record being too high, or is there a constant, persistent buzz even when a record is playing and there should be silence?

No, it is not record related. Maybe grounding? If I connect grounding wire, sound is high pitched. There is inbuilt phono board, and it does not matter if signal goes through it or bypass. And there is two switches, one at the back On/Standby and other for switching on motor. I not sure if motor was switched on or not. I have other turntable, Nad 558 and that is much quieter. So, I wonder is it some fault with Teac or is there something what I can do about it. I have suspicion that it was not completely new, maybe some return.

Unlikely to be PSU. The awful idea of in built USB would be my suspicion. We haven't a satisfactory description of the noise and it may be earthing related even.

I have the 24V DC version of the Sbooster BOTW MkII in stock, if that is of any interest. £329 including delivery.

Thank you for info, but they are too much comparing to turntable, I was thinking something about 20-40 money level. I even do not know if that will help.

Unlikely to be PSU. The awful idea of in built USB would be my suspicion. We haven't a satisfactory description of the noise and it may be earthing related even.

I think it is the same noise what you get from any turntable when turn up volume without playing it. It is the same as with Nad, just louder. I do not have enough experienced with turntables to be able say if it is normal or not, but I am suspicious about it. Maybe better to bring it to somebody experienced for evaluation. Good psu maybe could be useful around home, I have one, but that goes only up to 15 volt.
Maybe it is grounding, if I connect grounding wire, sound not just gets louder, it also changes. I don't like it.
I am not sure if USB is involved if not connected to computer, manual said usb bus power required. Also turntable power consumption is only 2 watts comparing to 5 watts for Nad.
I kinda liked this Teac, looks good, light color, direct drive, no rubber to get old, easy switch speed, can be used with any amplifier. Recording to computer also is useful as I have a few records which I would like to digitalise as they will not be available in digital format.

Wow, it's not a cheap deck is it! If you bought it online and it's new, I'd return it as faulty and use something else, making sure you demo it doing the things you need to before you buy it. It should not be noisy when there's no record playing. Perhaps try a conventional deck with separate phono stage with USB output. Both Project and Rega do good decks for £200 and both do USB phono stages for reasonable money. You'd spend less than you have on the TEAC.

Most people have some of these wall warts kicking around at home and/or work, although 24V is less common, it has to be said. Just change the current one for anything if you can find one.

My money is on it not changing with a change in power supply.

For the purpose of eliminating the power supply as the cause, perhaps you could cobble some dry cell batteries together for a temporary 24v supply?

Jim

If it's the same mains hum/buzz one gets with any TT when grounding not optimum then we probably have the answer...
Assuming the deck is being used in the normal fashion, ie non of the internal amplifiers in use, try unplugging the wall wart altogether. The wall wart should not be earthed anyway. Obviously it won't rotate without power but if the buzz stays much the same then it's definitely earthing related.

Ok, some useful advice, thank you. Will try when I be back home.
And yes, I could build battery pack, I remember, I even have 16 at home inside two wildlife cameras, no need spend extra money.
I not sure if you can say that this Teac is expensive, I think it is cheapest from direct drive turntables. I got it little bit cheaper, about 400 money, probably somebody's return, packing did not look like straight from factory. I do not mind that, if there is some fault, I do not think it will be expensive to fix, sending it back is also trouble. Will see.

Allowing for inflation it's probably par for the course to an average Japanese DD TT back in the early 80's... An on line "then and now allowing for inflation" calculator says a Rega Planar 3 in 1981 was £725 in 2020 money!!

Ok, some useful advice, thank you. Will try when I be back home.
And yes, I could build battery pack, I remember, I even have 16 at home inside two wildlife cameras, no need spend extra money.
I not sure if you can say that this Teac is expensive, I think it is cheapest from direct drive turntables. I got it little bit cheaper, about 400 money, probably somebody's return, packing did not look like straight from factory. I do not mind that, if there is some fault, I do not think it will be expensive to fix, sending it back is also trouble. Will see.
Apologies, I was a bit clumsy there. I didn’t mean it was a poor value for money item, more that it is expensive enough that you would expect it to be working flawlessly. If it’s and earth hum and can be sorted then fantastic,

Apologies, I was a bit clumsy there. I didn’t mean it was a poor value for money item, more that it is expensive enough that you would expect it to be working flawlessly. If it’s and earth hum and can be sorted then fantastic,
No problem, yes, it could be better build. It does not feel as high build quality, I see that aluminium disc is not perfect flat and some other minor things. Will be interesting to compare with other exemplars, there is no local stock of them. But it does have good looks and extra functions, will be ok for a time. Do not have baggage of records, just picked some which is not in digital form.

If it's the same mains hum/buzz one gets with any TT when grounding not optimum then we probably have the answer...
Assuming the deck is being used in the normal fashion, ie non of the internal amplifiers in use, try unplugging the wall wart altogether. The wall wart should not be earthed anyway. Obviously it won't rotate without power but if the buzz stays much the same then it's definitely earthing related.

Back home, looked into Teac. If wall wart unplugged, no more hum/buzz. If plugged in, everything is loud in passthrough mode. When use with built in phono amplifier, hum is less, probably normal level. When earthing wire connected, that high pitch continuous tone still remains also with built in phono , just little bit less loud. And it changes tone when motor switched on. Speed 33 pitch gets little higher, speed 45 little more higher again.

For the purpose of eliminating the power supply as the cause, perhaps you could cobble some dry cell batteries together for a temporary 24v supply?
Jim

Yes, I cobbled some batteries together. For some reason at end they give 25 volt even if any single was not full 1.5 volt. Strange. Anyway, turntable worked fine, silent, no hum/buzz, some hiss little. The same in passthrough mode and built in phono mode. Earthing wire did not give high pitched tone, almost no difference connected or not, maybe slightly worse when connected.

Does it means I need to look for different power supply after all?

An update to end this story.
Bought some other nonexpensive wall wart. Slightly different behaviour, not helping anyway. What a waste of time. Give it back to shop. Strange thing was that turntable picked up noise if wall wart was plugged into mains and I holded barrel connector in hand, and also if I moved psu wire close to turntable's output. It did have two ferrite on wire, one at each end. Original psu did not have that behaviour.
Starting to change various interconnect cables between turntable and amp from what I have at home. There was quite a difference between stock and few upmarket (there also was slight differences), and so now I can believe without any doubt that not all cables sound the same. And that is even before playing any music :) . No satisfactory result at end anyway.
Then started to look into how is everything connected on the rack. I have CD player and two amps. Denon CD and amp plus valve amp. CD connected to both amps, one connection via digital coax into amp's dac, other connection via CD phono output into valve amp. Disconnecting coax cable give slight positive effect. Terminating phono connection between CD and valve amp was big positive effect. The same effect was if valve amp was unplugged from mains and phono connection with CD staying in place. Denon has two wire connection to mains, valve amp has three. So, probably it is earthing related and this Teac turntable is very sensitive to it. Bad design? When powered from batteries it was very quiet and did not care about any other connections. Interesting, that Nad 558 player without earthing wire connected to amp have louder hum that Teac, but when earthing connected, goes quiet and also do not care of any other existing connections between components.

advertisement

Back