advertisement

Quadrophonic recordings into 5.1 channel amp

ex brickie

pfm Member
Has anyone ever tried, or would it be easy for someone to try, how a 4 channel quadrophonic LP would sound on a 5.1 channel amp/receiver? I've a small number of Quadrophonic LPs and in the classifieds I've asked whether anyone has a quadrophonic receiver gathering dust.

Just wondered whether a 5.1 receiver might work - but wary of taking a punt for the sake of a few LPs

Anyone tried or have easily accessible kit and a quadrophonic LP where they could try? :)

Thanks

Depends what you want to do. Assuming your LPs are SQ then the Digitised LPs can be decoded by software and fed as a Dolby Digital stream into a 5.1 receiver, but the process is a bit complicated.

If the receiver has 5.1 analogue inputs then you can use a 70s decoder fed by a phono preamp.

Finally you could use the receiver's pro-logic decoder fed from a phono preamp, but at best this gives you a flavour of what is possible as the decoder is not technically correct and I believe the rear channels are mono.

SQ quadraphonic has been a lockdown project of mine. It kicked off when I found that one of my classical LPs was actually SQ compatible. Initially I used software to decode a stereo .wav into a Dolby digital .ac3 to play through my AV system. I then obtained a Sony decoder which gives even better results and my SQ LP collection has steadily grown.

It's actually rather better than its reputation and it's a pity that they couldn't have all agreed on a single system.

If it's SQ or QS encoded records, Nick, I wouldn't bother. It was the CD4 discrete records which really gave true quadraphonic reproduction. My SQ/QS records play perfectly well on stereo. I went overboard in 1976 and bought the top Marantz oscilloscope receiver, then SQ/QS and separate CD4 modules, also pricey. Cost a small fortune and the results didn't really justify this, although there were some sonically exciting moments.

Another prob. was the lack of and cost of the records. I also bought an Onlife (Technics?) CD4 compatible m/coil cart. too. I was lucky to be able to sell my receiver (to an 8 track user !!!!) when the 25% purchase tax dented hifi and effectively killed off a chaotic quadraphonic experience. I don't know, but I imagine the 5 channel surround sound would probably beat it anyway (though for TV etc).

advertisement

Back