advertisement

Quadlink to xlr balanced cables?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have previously suffered with a lot of noise when using very long rca cables between my pre-amp and a quad qsp.

I understand that Quad's proprietary 15 pIn din Quadlink connection, as found on my QSP, carries a balanced connection as well as switching etc.

Anyone know if it is possible to buy a quadlink to xlr balanced cable? If not, can anyone point me to a quadlink schematic or guide that might indicate how one might go about making one?

Possibly due to there being lots of other things called Quadlink, Google has not been my friend here.

Cheers

I have previously suffered with a lot of noise when using very long rca cables between my pre-amp and a quad qsp.

I understand that Quad's proprietary 15 pIn din Quadlink connection, as found on my QSP, carries a balanced connection as well as switching etc.

Anyone know if it is possible to buy a quadlink to xlr balanced cable? If not, can anyone point me to a quadlink schematic or guide that might indicate how one might go about making one? ...
I looked for the same information years ago and found very little.

At your own risk there's a pinout diagram available via this page which may help you to make up what you want. However I have found nothing to confirm whether or not it's likely to be correct.

There's a note here that a PFM member (still active elsewhere, but not here) made up some possibly relevant cables so contacting him may yield relevant information.

I had a look at the schematics for the 909 and it's as clear as mud on the whole issue really. Input impedance appears to be only 6K6 at balanced inputs for a start then a relay is shown shorting one channels balanced inputs to ground unless released by what seems to be some sort of "remote control" input.... but not the other channel...
The way the balanced and unbalanced signals come together rather leaves something to be desired! Both pass through op amps, a straight buffer for the unbalanced inputs, and then just connect together via 1K resistors!

There are numerous howlers of mistakes in the service manual available on-line which make me wary of anything in it TBH

Actually with properly screened coaxial cable and a good low output impedance from pre amp there should be no issues with hum etc with sensibly long interconnects.

advertisement

Back