advertisement

Quad Vena

mattski

pfm Member
Hi,

Has anyone experienced a Quad Vena and, if so, what are your opinions and which speakers did you use?

thanks,
Matt

I got one around 13 mths ago, partnered it with Quad 11L speakers. Previously Quad 77 Integrated with the same speakers.

I like it a lot, soundwise it's better than the 77, but it had to go back for repair recently, which was disappointing. Something wrong with the switching circuitry, it wouldn't come out of Standby, either from the remote or front panel. Away for 3 weeks or so at Quad. Fine now, but in comparison with the 77 series, which lasted me for some 17 or 18 years, as a I recall, without missing a beat, and not requiring anything more than a replacement set of batteries in the remote now and again....

Thanks, I'm very tempted by one - it'd be interesting to know if what you experienced is a common problem.

Did you look at any alternative before getting the Vena?

I got one around 13 mths ago, partnered it with Quad 11L speakers. Previously Quad 77 Integrated with the same speakers.

I like it a lot, soundwise it's better than the 77, but it had to go back for repair recently, which was disappointing. Something wrong with the switching circuitry, it wouldn't come out of Standby, either from the remote or front panel. Away for 3 weeks or so at Quad. Fine now, but in comparison with the 77 series, which lasted me for some 17 or 18 years, as a I recall, without missing a beat, and not requiring anything more than a replacement set of batteries in the remote now and again....

This is interesting. Its not too often you hear of an integrated at that price level going back for repairs.

Does it fuel my made in China debate? :)

Anyway its an interesting market sector of budget integrated amplifiers. I would like to see more competition and features like USB Dacs etc etc built in but Im a raving skinflint. The Vena has some interesting features at a fairly good price

I accept that quality costs. Im after an olive nait 2 next :) "Ive got love for you if you were born in the eighties" :D

I have listened to one with Kef LS50s and it was very good.

Probably not traditional Quad sound but very smooth presentation, and the features on offer just need a phono stage to be complete...

Jono

The other option for me may be a NAD 7050 although it doesn't quit have the appeal of the Quad.

No comments on the fact that this is built in the same factory and using the same chassis as the older Peachtree amps?

I'm still waiting for reviews on the new Peachtree which, from all accounts, is a huge step up from their previous line.

Hi,
I've got one, and I like it a lot.
It's part of my (Mac) desktop system, running a pair of PMC DB1+ speakers.
One issue though, if you connect to a Mac using the USB input, the Mac will not stay in sleep mode. I just use the optical out, which is fine.

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a Quad Vena and, if so, what are your opinions and which speakers did you use?

thanks,
Matt

Dave at Radeltt Audio has one in his bargain basement.

I've got no issues with Quad bill quality, have several items.

I've got the Vena hooked up to a pair of Amphion Ions presently. The Vena drives them well up to loud levels (at least loud for me, I don't like concert levels), and provides good bass too, as far as the Ions can output. In this setup musical details in symphonic music (Bruckner, Beethoven) can be easily followed, the colour of different instruments comes through clearly, and dynamic lines of the music build up rather satisfying. They also sound warm and involving with vocal music (for example Alison Kraus, Melody Gardot). The occasional 80s rock song comes across convincingly with clear percussion and bass, but I don't listen much to pop music. The amp is clearly in control all the time.

I like the Vena a lot, it is connected to a Bluesound Node as well as to a DVD player for CD playback (through the coax). The internal DAC sounds nice (but then I find most DACs rather similar), possibly a touch warmer than the Bluesound. I haven't tried Bluetooth. The remote is very useful, although switching sources is not immediate, there may be a second or so delay when switching. Something I don't like is that it only remembers the source if you leave it in standby, if you turn off power completely (which I do with a mains switch) it starts up in Bluetooth mode. But then I guess that can't be helped.

I've listened also to Dali Zensor Pico and Cambridge Audio Minx speakers. The Amphions are definitely the best, but then they should be as they're more expensive. I'm considering a future upgrade as I feel that the Vena can handle even better speakers.

As far as I can tell it's a nice little amp with cute retro looks and solid build. I can't compare with other amps as I lack the experience. Admittedly I'm not sure I understand what that PRAT is which people refer to when discussing amps. I'd assume most amps at reasonable sound levels and not too difficult speakers would sound fine and exhibit similar rhythm etc.

Using my Quad Vena with Audio Note AX-Two speakers on Atacama SL600i stands.

Front end is our Airport Extreme / Airport Express / Apple TV3 using Airplay from a Mac Mini and iOS devices.

Superb.

Links to some reviews you may enjoy ...

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena HFC Oct14.pdf (HiFi Choice 5/5 and group test winner)

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena HFW Nov14.pdf (HiFi World 5/5)

The conclusions of the HFC group test are interesting where they say ...

"First, it's important to point out that none of them, with the exception of the Quad, can step into the shoes of a high-quality conventional integrated amplifier."

I am thinking of buying a new Vena (Mark I model, not the latest Mark II) at a discounted price, mainly to be used for watching films on my TV and some causal listening using bluetooth. Is the Vena reliable? Has anyone had any problem with the Mark I Vena after a few years?

What is the build quality like?

Have had a Vena I for a while, no problems, very niice build and finish, heavier than expected. Very satisfied with the sound into ProAc 115.

There is a new version II with a MM Phono Stage, PSU tweaks and a better DAC with DSD support.

There is a deluxe version of both I and II for £100 extra with wood or gloss sleeves - no difference to internals afaik

Gus

Had a mk1 a few years ago paired with B&W 685 S2s, sounded great, nicer than the Audiolab 8200A I misguidedly replaced it with. Had a Yamha CDN301 hooked up to the digital coax input which was a useful improvement over the internal DAC on the Yamaha. Had a nice well balanced sound quality to it with decent bass depth & a smooth top end & midrange. No reliability issues with mine, had the mahogany sleeved version which looked & felt high quality. Probably worth having a listen to the Rega Brio at that price point as well, also a great amp.

I actually slightly preferred the Vena to the Brio-R, it feels better built/more solid and has more features like the DAC as a bonus. The Brio-R was very good - wasn’t a lot in it, depends on room and speakers obvs, had RS1 and LS50 at the time, was moving on from a Qute 1.

I am considering the Vena because it has bluetooth. My wife can also listen to her music on her mobile phone. The Mark 1 Vena are being sold at a discount which is tempting. I intend to use the Vena with some LS3/5a speakers. The Vena will also be connected to my TV for watching films.

Originally I was thinking of a pair of Q Acoustics BT3 active speakers with bluetooth but after some net surfing I discovered the Vena.

advertisement

Back