advertisement

Quad Racks

mjkelshaw

pfm Member
In adddition to a 'Walnut' (?) version of the Quad rack for FM4/34/405 which I collected many years ago in a 'clearance' sale at a HIFi shop in Reading, over recent years I've collected 3 versions of the 'Grey' Quad racks which I'm hoping to use with some of my Quad kit.
1. FM4/34/405
2. FM4/44/405
3. FM4/34/306
Whilst it is obvious that the 306's feet fit into 4 No. 'blind' holes in the baseboard of that version of the rack, and the amp is secured to the vertical member via it's rear casing 'screws'. I'm curious about the means of attachment of a 405 to either of the other versions.
The baseboards of the 405 versions that I own have 4 small 'blind' holes in their top surface, however they are not large enough to accommodate the feet of my 405-2. In adddition there are 2 No. small diameter 'through' holes on either side of the baseboard, and whilst the diagram supplied by Quad appears to show a 405 amp attached by 2 screws passing through these holes, there doesn't seem to be any matching (threaded ?) holes in the base of my amp.
Further, all the baseboards have 4 No. small nylon(?) 'button' feet which are in fact 'mushroom' shaped with the stem inserted into pre drilled holes in the base board, unfortunately a couple of these are missing from my latest purchase, could someone advise me of the correct 'name' for these items so that I may search for replacements?
Apologies in advance if my query has been posted in the 'wrong' section.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

In adddition to a 'Walnut' (?) version of the Quad rack for FM4/34/405 which I collected many years ago in a 'clearance' sale at a HIFi shop in Reading, over recent years I've collected 3 versions of the 'Grey' Quad racks which I'm hoping to use with some of my Quad kit.
1. FM4/34/405
2. FM4/44/405
3. FM4/34/306
Whilst it is obvious that the 306's feet fit into 4 No. 'blind' holes in the baseboard of that version of the rack, and the amp is secured to the vertical member via it's rear casing 'screws'. I'm curious about the means of attachment of a 405 to either of the other versions.
The baseboards of the 405 versions that I own have 4 small 'blind' holes in their top surface, however they are not large enough to accommodate the feet of my 405-2. In adddition there are 2 No. small diameter 'through' holes on either side of the baseboard, and whilst the diagram supplied by Quad appears to show a 405 amp attached by 2 screws passing through these holes, there doesn't seem to be any matching (threaded ?) holes in the base of my amp.
Further, all the baseboards have 4 No. small nylon(?) 'button' feet which are in fact 'mushroom' shaped with the stem inserted into pre drilled holes in the base board, unfortunately a couple of these are missing from my latest purchase, could someone advise me of the correct 'name' for these items so that I may search for replacements?
Apologies in advance if my query has been posted in the 'wrong' section.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw
Looking at the hole pattern, Mike, it appears that the 4 x 405 feet need be removed allowing the 4 x bottom cover screws of the amp to sit within the 4 x blind holes. Then the two rear feet screws are inserted through the through holes from below the base board and threaded back into the amp chassis. Or, perhaps Quad provided two such screws of a slightly longer length(?). Regardless, you could always pass one foot screw through a through hole in the base in order to determine whether enough thread comes though to gain purchase without stripping.

02_y74t4agu.jpg

2409736-0c9e7ede-quad-405-2.jpg

P.S. Re: the Nylon pips, try searching for 'nylon stem bumpers'.

Last edited:
Hi Craig,
Thank you for a comprehensive reply to my very 'nerdy' questions, both of which were of course driven by my 'OCD'.
Both of my 405 racks came with single sided 'copies' of the original Quad assembly diagrams. However, I have just found what I think was the original 'double sided' sheet which came with a rack that I originally purchased in '92, and mistakenly sold along with all my Quad items when I was planning to 'retire' to China in 2010/11.
The sheet shows both 306 & 405 versions, plus a written description for each - and guess what - it states that "the power amplifier stands on the base with it's four feet removed, and is secured by two screws" - DOH!!!
However, it doesn't state the screw type, length or into what they are inserted.
Following your reply and looking at my 405 again, it would appear that you have correctly described how, once the feet have been removed, the amp 'sits' onto the base with the 4 base plate screws sitting into the 4 small 'blind' holes provided and is then secured via the threaded mounting holes for the 2 rear feet.
I shall now start 'surfing' to find replacement 'nylon stem bumpers'.
Thank you once again.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

advertisement

Back