advertisement

Quad II work

Ignore me about the anode vs screen voltage thing - the output transformer is dropping the difference so it's idling with the screens higher just the same as in a UL amp. Though it always makes me look twice when screens are higher than anodes!

I spent an unhappy evening wondering what I had done; where had the sound stage gone, where is that sound from...one gets to doubt one's ears...

Went to bed confused.

Double checked the amps this morning..

2022-02-28_02-43-52 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

How did that happen?

All fixed now.

At least you noticed it sounded wrong. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard systems set up like that and the owner's never realised :)
With a pair of ESL57s on the end of the Quads there was nowhere to hide. It sounded so "confused" compared to how I know it sounds.

At least you noticed it sounded wrong. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard systems set up like that and the owner's never realised :)
Ha. I got a cartridge out of phase once, had me baffled for bloody ages.

Great to see those immaculate ESLs that were JTC’s and latterly mine are now on the end of those lovely Quad II’s. I’m about to go Stereo 20/LS3/5a here.

I had a new Audi Quattro in mid 80's. Stereo sounded weird........found one of the main speakers wired out of phase.

Ha. I got a cartridge out of phase once, had me baffled for bloody ages.

Great to see those immaculate ESLs that were JTC’s and latterly mine are now on the end of those lovely Quad II’s. I’m about to go Stereo 20/LS3/5a here.
And they still sound superb. :)

There’s a worse scenario: a system sounds so bad you’re convinced the interconnects or speaker cables are wired out of phase and when you check, they’re not. :eek:

There’s a worse scenario: a system sounds so bad you’re convinced the interconnects or speaker cables are wired out of phase and when you check, they’re not. :eek:
Very true.

It really did baffle me for the evening. When I went to bed I did wonder if the speakers were connected out of phase.

advertisement

Back