advertisement

Quad II colour..?

macvisual

pfm Member
Hi folks...

I have a pair of original Quad II valve power amps, and I need to know if anyone can tell me what the original colour code might be please..? I fancy getting them painted as new condition...

I hope someone can help me with my question please.

Best wishes - macvisual

Malvern Audio on Ebay sell the small bottles. I`m sure there would be enough to put in a Spot spray gun or get the small bottle and get a match?

From the Yahoo Quad User Group
"Just thought I would pass this one on. At Spalding on Sunday I saw a very
neat set of Quad IIs and a 22 pre-amp. They had been stripped down and
resprayed. The colour used was very close to the real Quad II paint
colour so I asked. It was car paint colour: Rover Gun-metal."

I have restored about 40 pairs of Quad IIs and I took 4 to have them colour matched but they were all different. I finally settled on Rover Gunmetal which was the best match. I have them sprayed by a local car body repair shop.

Stuart

Bear in mind that all paint changes colour slightly in reaction to light (and even to shade!) so an original unit that has never been re sprayed will still be a slightly different colour now than when it left the factory :)

A good point. I also have a new boxed Quad II and the Rover Gunmetal is a very close match to it. I have some photos somewhere if you are interested

Stuart

A good point. I also have a new boxed Quad II and the Rover Gunmetal is a very close match to it. I have some photos somewhere if you are interested

Stuart

Piccies? Oh yes please :) I bet the original quad sourced paint, even if purchased as the same colour and from the same supplier, differed slightly batch to batch. I was once in conversation with a professional painter and decorator who told me that the only way to guarantee colour match, pot to pot, is to choose British Standard paints.

advertisement

Back