advertisement

QUAD FM4 Power supply repair

In some installations it can be useful to have the snubber resistor. It's unusual to see it on a mains input filter. Is the cap across Live and Neutral or across the power switch?

In that case a X2 0.1uF or 0.047uF capacitor is the best choice
One thing I am confused about of the correct placement for an X2 cap. Should it be between L and N on the power input side, or on the switched power side?

One thing I am confused about of the correct placement for an X2 cap. Should it be between L and N on the power input side, or on the switched power side?
After the switch otherwise you will get a shock from the plug after you unplug it, I used to do Tv repair and one make had it before and if you didn’t discharge with a screwdriver it would bight you later.

Pete

Last edited:
Quad FM4 component N1 in the service manual. I have had this expire on my FM4 and another Quad box. But both boxes have worked fine without (as others have written).

If you are buying a replacement for soldering into the PCB then RS components do something that looks very close and should work (in bags of 5). See Buy snubber capacitor online from RS Components (rs-online.com). Datasheet: 0900766b8171cb5c.pdf (rs-online.com). Probably the original is 47 nF or 100 nF + 100 Ohms in series but do check the right lead spacing for the PCB from the datasheet. Other sources are probably available.

advertisement

Back