advertisement

Quad els 57 supertweeters ? sub?

Fitnessed

pfm Member
Have stacked and a single pair of els57.
Curious what super tweeters /subs people use if any ? any experiances?
i am more than a happy with the sound,just like tweaking.......

Martin Logan used Decca DK30 ribbon tweeters mounted between the two ESLs. They are superb things.

PS I have a pair boxed-up I may be prepared to part with. I’ve even got a NOS spare pair of ribbons!

I wouldn’t even contemplate subs with my single ESLs. What they do, with their max sound pressure limit of course, is already pretty amazing.
But then I’m not a bass freak (and I play bass).
Martin Logan used Decca DK30 ribbon tweeters mounted between the two ESLs. They are superb things.

PS I have a pair boxed-up I may be prepared to part with. I’ve even got a NOS spare pair of ribbons!
Interesting. How much Tony?

I fitted Jimmy Hughes inspired piezo super tweeter horns decades ago within days of jimmy's article appearing to my Quad ESL (57's), placed so they continued the line source, they worked well.

After I bought my One Thing Audio Quad ESL (57's) with Rupert stands in 2013 I bought a pair of Taket Batpure super tweeters, to test them I put them in the mouth of the existing horns on a wide metal plate in the throat of the horn's held in place with high grade Velcro & double sided tape for the Batpure tweeters, I had used with the horns some Nordost Flatline Gold cable which I connected to the input side of the modified ie rewired with Nordost FLG OTA Widgets I use, having contacted Taki San I knew no X-over was needed for the Batpure tweeters , I also knew from using the horns that since Quad ESL's invert/reverse phase the Barpure are wired in phase to the amplifier + to + &- to- the Quad ESL + to - on both.

The all round result was so good that's how they have remained. In my room with my system they have improved surprisingly the bass in particular, midd's & treble, air & PRAT.
Driven by a Rogue Atlas Magnum fed by a Ming da MC7R both with octal rather than noval valves I do not feel the need for sub-woofers.

quad.jpg

I’ve got Townshend Maximum supertweeters on top of my single pair of 57s (and One Thing Rupert stands underneath).

I do like the Townshends: I find they perform the counterintuitive trick of improving the bass as well as the treble. In my experience they’re best dialled down using their level controls so they don’t sound “obvious”. I think mine are on about 2 or 3; I can still hear that they’re doing something if I hold them up to an ear.

I’ve got Townshend Maximum supertweeters on top of my single pair of 57s (and One Thing Rupert stands underneath).

I do like the Townshends: I find they perform the counterintuitive trick of improving the bass as well as the treble. In my experience they’re best dialled down using their level controls so they don’t sound “obvious”. I think mine are on about 2 or 3; I can still hear that they’re doing something if I hold them up to an ear.

I have a 13khz hearing limit, before my son married & was at home he could hear them, now I put 50 w 8 ohm resistors on the disconnected Quad leads and use a phone app to pick up the Batpure tweeters that come in at 15 khz as they are so small no attenuation is required "they don’t sound “obvious.”" either but bloody hell do they audibly work, I also "find they perform the counterintuitive trick of improving the bass as well as the treble".

Thanks john really interesting,sure your set up sounds amazing.;)

A few years ago when playing Snowflakes are Dancing by Tomita my vinyl freak Son in Law on hearing it said "It's like CD only clearer" others have brought me their new vinyl LP's so they could hear it at it's best. Their words not mine.
Above all it's musical people start listening to the system initially then are caught up in the music, from Iestyn Davies countertenor to Prodigy or deadmau5 .

I made ST from Raal 64-10 Ribon with my Quads(2805), with Lpad pot, and small crossover, great upgrade. Budget was about 25% of new Towsands. They "sounds" great, especialy bass is better.

advertisement

Back