advertisement

Quad 77 Integrated Remote workarounds

Whaleblue

Southbound
Hi all,

I recently posted these questions on avforums, but wonder if this may be a better source of help for my particular query. Apologoies if you've already read this over there!

I have recently purchased a second hand Quad 77 Integrated amp that has no remote. This was of no major concern, but I do have two questions.

1. I understand the input sensitivities can be changed via the remote. I want them at the standard 300mv and need to know if there is any way of checking/changing these settings without the remote?

2. Does anyone know if a Logitech programmable remote can be made to operate the amp (either the basic functions such as volume, or the advanded set-up referred to in 1.)?

Thanks for any input (excuse pun).

I have just looked in the 77 Manual. That tells me the input sensitivities can only be changed using the remote, though I have seen knowledgeable posters say it is possible to do it from the front panel.

I have also seen on the internet codes that can be entered into a universal remote. I cannot now find them.

I have just looked in the 77 Manual. That tells me the input sensitivities can only be changed using the remote, though I have seen knowledgeable posters say it is possible to do it from the front panel.

I have also seen on the internet codes that can be entered into a universal remote. I cannot now find them.

Right, thanks for that Labarum. Hopefully said knowledgeable posters will let me know what they know.

I can't remember if the integrated amp had the versatility of the 77 preamp. Certainly on the pre, you can access "deeper" functions from the front panel. The software changed a couple of times while Quad was UK owned, but I have no idea what happened to the 77 codes post IAG takeover..

Good luck anyway.

Did anyone have any luck regarding operating deeper functions from the preamp front panel. I have a 77 cd, 77 preamp and a 707 power amp but no remote. If anyone can point me in the direction of the fabled front panel instructions I would be grateful (or of anyone has a remote they no longer need). Many thanks. John

Sadly, unless you can get hold of the engineering department, most tech companies' customer contacts are just reading from a script. If they can't find it, it can't be done.

Keep looking!

Pick up a cheap Logitech harmony one - I bought a few here in CH for £15 or less. They have the Quad 77 as a supported product.

Taking the plunge and picking up a Harmony. Thanks Dowser. Does it access all the function of the pre, ie the cartridge loading etc.
Thanks
John

I had a 77 pre that I bought without a remote and couldn't find any way of accessing the inner functions lkie cartridge loading, tilt etc. I eventually bought a remote from someone in NZ and repatriated it. It needed new batteries, which I replaced and it did work, but was unreliable.
I sold the pre and remote on here 2 or 3 years ago.
I think the fact that it is a 2 way, transmit & receive, remote system, precludes most of the universal remotes having access to anything other than the basic functions like on/off, volume etc. I also hadve a CD77 with conventional remote and that didn't do any of the pre functions either.
But good luck.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I was I formed that a philips pronto could be programmed but I have no idea how. It is a great preamp but for the remote woes. I also have the 77cd (the standalone version) and a 707 power amp. May have to lookat a different preamp but keep the others.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I was I formed that a Philips Pronto remote can be could be programmed but I have no idea how. It is a great preamp but for the remote woes. I also have the 77cd (the standalone version) and a 707 power amp. May have to look at a different preamp but keep the others.

Apart from the Logitech universal remotes the Philips Pronto solution looks like the best one I have come across so far though I haven't got round to trying either myself. The programming instructions on Remote Central seem straightforward but bear in mind that, depending on which Pronto you get, the software may not work with windows 7 or 10. This can probably be got around fairly easily if you have the relevant IT skills.

It would be fun to get a 77 and patch an Arduino to the remote serial port. This is about the only way to simulate a two way remote control

advertisement

Back