advertisement

Quad 606 - what speakers (..and other n00b questions)

You can buy passive preamps cheaply that will work really well with the 606, or you could make one yourself if you can wield a soldering iron - I successfully made one so it can't be that difficult :D.
As others have said, any speakers will be fine. The 606 has plenty of power (140 wpc?) but can still be used with speakers with lower power handling as long as you don't get carried away with the volume.

The 606 should drive most speakers. I think most manufacturers just pick a figure out of the air when they specify speaker wattage.

With my Quad 306, I use a 20k, Little Bear passive preamp that I bought on eBay. It cost about £30 and sounds pretty transparent to my ears. Far better than some quite expensive Naim preamps I've owned.

If your Denon AVR-X250BT does pre-out ? guess you could use that as a beginner preamp.

Don't connect all surround speakers to the 606, just one pair (left + right)

If your Denon AVR-X250BT does pre-out ? guess you could use that as a beginner preamp.

Don't connect all surround speakers to the 606, just one pair (left + right)
This is your starting point. You have what you need to get it running, so run it for a while with what you have. When you know it works and you want to use it, you can spend sone more.

Personally I wouldn't bother unless the OP has a TT.

I have two Quad preamps hiding under the bed - stopped using them some time back .... a half decent potmeter and connectors and you're away.
That's good to know. The local Harbeth dealer used to have Quad 66/606 with the matching Quad CD player for umpteen years with Harbeth speakers. Sounds pretty good but I prefer the Naim.

Hi there,
I am absolutely new to both high-end and classic equipment (like the 606) and to this forum. I bought mine from a sidewalk-flea-market and had no clue what I was buying. It just looked kinda weird, so I googled it and baught it. Now I have no idea how to use it (properly), I don't even have speakers. I am not rich so I am not looking for the best possible option :/ - I just want to at least somewhat experience its capabilities, and I don't want to make a fatal mistake, so I have some n00b questions and I would really appreciate absolutely any input:

1. What type/brad of speakers should I look for? This is my main question.

2. I found out on this forum that people talk about a pre-amp for it - do I need one? I do have a normal amp (that powers my "ok" 5+1 mini-home-theatre) - can and should I use it?

3. Are there any "known" must-do-s and must-not-do-s related to the Quad606-type of technology?

Thank you in advance and if similar questions have been asked before please just let me know - if that's easier for you. Thank you!
I have the 909 and you could try a quad cdp2 it's a digital pre amp as well as a fine cd player..you could use optical from tv into cdp2...you could use a tablet/laptop into cdp2 ( you would need a spdif/ usb converter as cdp2 doesn't have a usb in..musical fidelity v link 2 is excellent ) try some dynaudio 40 or 42s with your quad amp..should match well..you could send your amp to quad and they will service it..my 909 cost about £80 to be serviced..hope this helps..by the way if you bought these items and used decent cabling you would have a very good sounding hifi..

advertisement

Back