Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Quad 606 - what speakers (..and other n00b questions)

Discussion in 'audio' started by morkof, Jan 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

You can buy passive preamps cheaply that will work really well with the 606, or you could make one yourself if you can wield a soldering iron - I successfully made one so it can't be that difficult :D.
    As others have said, any speakers will be fine. The 606 has plenty of power (140 wpc?) but can still be used with speakers with lower power handling as long as you don't get carried away with the volume.

miktec likes this.
  2. miktec

miktec unissued

TT = TurnTable, to play vinyl records

...like off of the past :)

morkof likes this.
  3. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

The 606 should drive most speakers. I think most manufacturers just pick a figure out of the air when they specify speaker wattage.

With my Quad 306, I use a 20k, Little Bear passive preamp that I bought on eBay. It cost about £30 and sounds pretty transparent to my ears. Far better than some quite expensive Naim preamps I've owned.

4. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

Touche.

5. PerF

PerF Member

If your Denon AVR-X250BT does pre-out ? guess you could use that as a beginner preamp.

Don't connect all surround speakers to the 606, just one pair (left + right)

morkof likes this.
  6. Fatmarley

Fatmarley Agnostic

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh there (pardon the pun).

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This is your starting point. You have what you need to get it running, so run it for a while with what you have. When you know it works and you want to use it, you can spend sone more.

morkof likes this.
  8. ryder

ryder pfm Member

That's good to know. The local Harbeth dealer used to have Quad 66/606 with the matching Quad CD player for umpteen years with Harbeth speakers. Sounds pretty good but I prefer the Naim.

9. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

I have the 909 and you could try a quad cdp2 it's a digital pre amp as well as a fine cd player..you could use optical from tv into cdp2...you could use a tablet/laptop into cdp2 ( you would need a spdif/ usb converter as cdp2 doesn't have a usb in..musical fidelity v link 2 is excellent ) try some dynaudio 40 or 42s with your quad amp..should match well..you could send your amp to quad and they will service it..my 909 cost about £80 to be serviced..hope this helps..by the way if you bought these items and used decent cabling you would have a very good sounding hifi..