advertisement

Quad 606 Mk 2 - just purchased.

Alchad

Hi,

I previously posted on another thread that I was thinking about buying a Quad 606 Mk2. I finally bit the bullet and pressed "Buy" on one on Ebay. It was located in Holland and despite the seller's excellent feedback I was slightly nervous because it was expensive firstly because of the postage cost and also because I would have to pay customs duty (which to be honest) I didn't know was just going to be VAT or other charges Customs might levy. In the end it was just VAT but still added to the cost (thanks Brexit!).

Anyway it arrived today and have to say I'm over the moon with it, condition is extremely good and to my unsophisticated ears sound is first class (it's replacing a Quad 405).

I'm intending to send it to Quad for a check over and probably have the power supply including the transformer and the big power supply capacitors changed to the 909 spec as suggested on another thread.

Couple of questions - out of curiosity I took the cover off to see if I could detect any previous modifications. It looked very pristine - see photos - just wondered if any quad experts agreed?

IMG-8384.jpg

IMG-8385.jpg

IMG-8387.jpg

Also, I'd like to get hold of a genuine instruction booklet but I suspect they are as rare as hens teeth. I had a quick Google for downloadable manuals but the copies don't seem very good. Does anyone know of a decent download source??

Thank

Alan C

I see that it's set for 220v not 240v. I'd be wanting to get that sorted before using it.

Edit: See below. In this case there's a single setting for 220v-240v, so no need to do anything.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

Regarding the 220 volt issue. As I said I was planning to get it serviced by Quad. Is the change to 240volts something they would handle as a matter of course.

Alternatively is it something I could do - I'm relatively OK if its something simple, but I'd prefer not to undertake major electrical surgery!

Alan C

Elco = electrolytic capacitor

In the service manual its the same tags for 220v and 240v so I would assume there is some tolerance built into the power supply side of things.

I've got HiFi Engine pdfs of the 606 manual and service book; I don't know how relevant they are to the mkII.

PM me an e-mail address, and I'll copy them over.

(Slow typer ! :) )

Thanks all for the replies, sorted regarding the manual thanks to Mark👍.

Shipped the amp off to Quad earlier this week for service, change supply voltage to 240 volts and 909 upgrade, don’t know how long it will be, just have to be patient🙁

Just an update. Got my amp back a couple of days ago, so just over 8 weeks turnaround, better than I had hoped. As I've mentioned before not an audiophile but it sounds good enough to my old ears!

Total cost was £372 including VAT which included £266 for the 909 power supply, they also replaced 4 resistors, 4 capacitors and 2 I.C TLC271CP's - whatever they are.

Alchad

advertisement

Back