advertisement

QUAD 520f a 606MKII or possibly a 909?

darkmatter

pfm Member
In an unmodified state what are the Performance differences between QUAD 520f a 606MKII and a 909? I am trying to get a feel which ultimately is the better performing overall?

Secondly is the power supply of the 909 bigger than the 606 MKII?

I could consider the 707 but have not mentioned that in the title, and only a few of the 909s were made in the UK?

I am thinking of getting one of these but have heard that the QUAD bus is a possible hindrance affecting some aspects of the sound quality of the 707 and 909? shouldn't be an issue as I will be only using the phono inputs.

I will be using a Townshend Allegri TVC pre-amp as well so do not need the bus connection facility in the 707/909

This is in a second system and the amp will be powering a pair of BBC KEF made LS5/1AE Loudspeakers

Thanks

Simon

I am currently listening to my 909 - its the power amp of my first system! Powering a pair of AE1 mk3s...and I think it might be made in China.. sounds first rate! If you get a 909 try a schiit sys as the pre amp? Its very good

What I’d like to know - and apologies for thread hijack but might have some bearing - is whether the output impedance changes between the 606 era (which is also 306 era?) and the 909 and later. I have a 306 that’s working very well with Tannoys and my understanding (!) is that this might have something to do with its relatively high impedance/low damping factor. Needs a service though and I wonder if I wouldn’t be better off just getting a 909. can’t find the relevant specs in relation to any of them.

Typically what would I expect to pay for a 606 or a 909 prices on a certain online auction site vary wildly

I have been offered a 606 MKi with upgraded PS and 909 boards but sans BUS so not sure what to offer for it?

Typically what would I expect to pay for a 606 or a 909 prices on a certain online auction site vary wildly

I have been offered a 606 MKi with upgraded PS and 909 boards but sans BUS so not sure what to offer for it?

Thinking about offering £475?

advertisement

Back