Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

QUAD 520f a 606MKII or possibly a 909?

Discussion in 'audio' started by darkmatter, Apr 8, 2021.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter pfm Member

In an unmodified state what are the Performance differences between QUAD 520f a 606MKII and a 909? I am trying to get a feel which ultimately is the better performing overall?

Secondly is the power supply of the 909 bigger than the 606 MKII?

I could consider the 707 but have not mentioned that in the title, and only a few of the 909s were made in the UK?

I am thinking of getting one of these but have heard that the QUAD bus is a possible hindrance affecting some aspects of the sound quality of the 707 and 909? shouldn't be an issue as I will be only using the phono inputs.

I will be using a Townshend Allegri TVC pre-amp as well so do not need the bus connection facility in the 707/909

This is in a second system and the amp will be powering a pair of BBC KEF made LS5/1AE Loudspeakers

Thanks

Simon

2. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

I am currently listening to my 909 - its the power amp of my first system! Powering a pair of AE1 mk3s...and I think it might be made in China.. sounds first rate! If you get a 909 try a schiit sys as the pre amp? Its very good

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

A friend has 520 and 707, says both are great.

the caretaker likes this.
  4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

What I’d like to know - and apologies for thread hijack but might have some bearing - is whether the output impedance changes between the 606 era (which is also 306 era?) and the 909 and later. I have a 306 that’s working very well with Tannoys and my understanding (!) is that this might have something to do with its relatively high impedance/low damping factor. Needs a service though and I wonder if I wouldn’t be better off just getting a 909. can’t find the relevant specs in relation to any of them.

5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

M’y best would be a 909 made in UK as it will last forever and will make sing any type of speakers no matter the impedance, sensitivity or size while producing a non fatiguing sound.

Ianp, darkmatter and the caretaker like this.
  6. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

darkmatter likes this.
  7. darkmatter

darkmatter pfm Member

Typically what would I expect to pay for a 606 or a 909 prices on a certain online auction site vary wildly

I have been offered a 606 MKi with upgraded PS and 909 boards but sans BUS so not sure what to offer for it?

8. darkmatter

darkmatter pfm Member

Thinking about offering £475?

9. MEMF1980

MEMF1980 Active Member

I recently bought a 606mk2 in very good external condition with recently replaced caps for £415 delivered.

Hope that may help.

darkmatter likes this.