advertisement

Quad 44 question...

spet0114

REMPI Member
Hi Folks,

Leafing through the Quad 44 manual, reference is made to a MC stage for the pre-amp. A quick look on the usual auction sites reveals no sign of such a device, either within a '44 or in isolation.

So, was the MC module just a pipe-dream or did it make it into production?

Cheers!
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

There were several MC modules as i had a couple myself.
The rarity probably reflects the popularity of MMs at the time and the fact that many 44 owners probably ran Shure MMs in SME S2s.

IIRC the MM module has the option to select 1mv sensitivity which might work well with some of the higher output coils, at least as a stop-gap until you locate a MC module.
Failing that, get yourself a nice transformer like the AT630 that usually sells for <£50.

Speak to Quad's service dep't: I did a couple of months back, they can still build the modules, they told me...

Wasn't it the same module as in the 34 ?

I don't think so, I've seen a pic of the 34's MC stage, and the connections to the preamp motherboard look different.

Cheers
Adrian

P.s : Many thanks to all respondants, I'll keep my eyes open or call Quad if I get impatient!

If we're still talking about 44 MC boards, do you fancy selling one?

Don't see why not - it's not like I'm using it since I got the Whest. Off the top of my head, I think it's the 4B - 100ohms/22nF, 68dB - but I'll double-check if you're really interested. It was the module that Quad recommended to me for the DL-103. PM me if you're interested.

Ian

advertisement

Back