advertisement

Quad 306 with Spendor

Conan

Loop digger
I am looking for a power amplifier for my spendor S3/5r2.
Been reading a lot about the Quad 306 and would like to give it a try.
I already have a passive pre-amp. Does anyone has any experience with this amp/speakers match?

I'm using a 306 with my Totem Staaf's. Totem's are generally quite current hungry so I understand so, on that basius, I would expect a 306 to be able to drive even more 'difficult' speakers well. I have to say the 306 is a lovely amp IMHO.

Yup, should be lovely, certainly hard to beat for the money. I’ve used them with Harbeths and the little Spendors to good effect.

Good examples can be had fairly easily and you’ll sell it on no problem if you want to. Go for it...

I've tried a passive pre with a 306
Just not working very well
No idea whats the issue as the poweramp was great in other installation
Spendors are lovely but honestly polite
Look for more dynamic

Look for more dynamic
Like what?

I had a Rega Brio R once. Boring. Lasted one week. Not for me.

Exact same thing for me, kept my Brio only 1 week. Then I had a Rotel RA 1520 for 1 year and ended with a Supernait in 2011 and the latest is still playing music for me on a daily basis.

Look for more dynamic

A 306 with a passive pre usually works pretty well (at least in my experience).

That’s a combination I’d like to try.
A 303 with a passive sounded good with the system I had at the time.
I bought a ‘34 because I wanted a phono input.

Look for more dynamic

Mine sounds great with the Little Bear MC2 (20k version). Unfortunately, the price seems to have risen since I bought mine. I only paid £25.

I am looking for a power amplifier for my spendor S3/5r2.
Been reading a lot about the Quad 306 and would like to give it a try.
I already have a passive pre-amp. Does anyone has any experience with this amp/speakers match?

I’m running S3/5R from a 303 and an Audio Synthesis Passion in my TV system and like the combo a lot. Having owned both if the 303 will happily drive a speaker the 306 will have no issue whatsoever. Despite being only 5 Watts more powerful on paper the 306 is a much more powerful amp than a 303 as it has no issue with low impedances, reactive loads etc. It is also even higher gain so works well with a passive. By saying that I sold my 306 to Richard (Lordsummit) and in his single source system (Chord Mojo) it sounds much better being driven straight from the DAC’s variable out than going through a passive preamp, just far more heft, slam etc. As such I’d not rule out an active preamp if you find it a little ‘thin’. The 306 will certainly drive the Spendors really well and build on their strengths of neutrality, accurate tonality etc.

My short eperience with the Spendor is that they work best in a nearfield setup.
I sit approx. 3m away from them (not really nearfield) so I hope the Quad 306 has enough juice to bring the Spendor to life without playing at high volume

My short eperience with the Spendor is that they work best in a nearfield setup.
I sit approx. 3m away from them (not really nearfield) so I hope the Quad 306 has enough juice to bring the Spendor to life without playing at high volume

My TV rig is quite odd in that I have the 3/5s on the low Ikea tilt-back stands most people use with the Shahinian Super Elf. Much to my surprise they actually work rather well in this context. I was expecting them to be boomy, but it isn’t the case at all. I only did it as a temporary thing when I sold my La Scalas expecting to buy another pair of Target R4s for the Spendors, but they work so well on the little Ikea stands I’ve just left them be. Anyway I listen to this rig at a distance of about 2.5-3m I guess, and it sounds fine. You’ll never fill a huge room with a mini-monitor, they always give their absolute best in the near-field as that is what they are designed for, but you really won’t have any issue with power with a well serviced 306. I bet it has way more than enough power on tap to slam that little bass unit into the basket! If you try it and find you want a bigger, warmer or fatter sound I’d consider adding a valve preamp. I love what the 303 does with a good valve preamp (I use one with a JC Verdier pre in my main system).

PS Also don’t overlook the matching Quad 34. For some reason it is sneered at online, but it is *way* better than its reputation if serviced and working correctly. I have a late grey one in my backup pile that has been recapped and had a couple of light mods to the phono stage and I like it a lot. Sure, not as good as the Verdier, but it runs it far closer than one would expect given the price difference (the valves currently in the Verdier are worth more than the 34!).

I am in the Naim family nowadays but if I was to go back to Quad, I would definitely go with the 34 and 306 as they sound sweet, non fatiguing although dynamic enough and best sound/value for money.
Passive preamp might be interesting as well but too tricky for me as everything around then becomes critical (cable style and length, source, and so on........)
And the look of this little 34/306 combo is awesome IMO.

advertisement

Back