advertisement

QUAD 303 with a passive re: earthing

Nagraboy

Ausculta fili
Been wondering about trying my 303 with my Khozmo passive this evening. With the Quad’s input sensitivity I’m sure it’ll work well, but I’d just like to confirm whether the 303 is ok to plug into the mains rather than via the 34 pre mains output.

It looks like it should be fine (apart from no on/off switch) but I’m sure I heard that the 303 is not earthed through its mains lead but through the interconnect. Can anyone in the know confirm either way please?

The 303 is earthed via its 4 pin DIN *if* you are using a 33 preamp. If not use a three-core mains cable on the 303, it is then earthed correctly. Basically use the three-core mini bulgin mains lead you were using with the 33. I just turn mine on/off at the mains plug, as I do all my kit.

The 303 is earthed via its 4 pin DIN *if* you are using a 33 preamp. If not use a three-core mains cable on the 303, it is then earthed correctly. Basically use the three-core mini bulgin mains lead you were using with the 33. I just turn mine on/off at the mains plug, as I do all my kit.

Ahh thanks Tony, I hadn’t realised the 33 factor. I’ll give it a go now. I just plugged in my Graham Slee phono stage to the AUX input on my 34 pre and played the new Lee Konitz, then wondered what it might be like with the Khozmo instead.

* Had a change of plan and am running the Slee into the 303 direct and using the Slee’s volume control. Will try the Khozmo tomorrow…

One other thing is the 303 and the 33 phase invert, so they are correct when used as a pair. For correct absolute phase with the 303 alone flip the speaker leads black to red at either the amp or speaker end.

After fifteen years not playing about with hifi I fired up a chrome bumper Naim 140 with a passive pot. I thought the amp was stuffed until I put it with a conventional pre-amp. Doh!

How did this go? I used my 303 with an NVA passive and felt it worked very well - more 'transparent' than the 33.I felt it let the 303 breathe more clearly if that makes sense.

Last edited:
How did this go? I used my 303 with an NVA passive and felt it worked very well - more 'transparent' than the 33.I felt it let the 303 breath more clearly if that makes sense.
Exactly my experience too.....I would even use the same words.

How did this go? I used my 303 with an NVA passive and felt it worked very well - more 'transparent' than the 33.I felt it let the 303 breathe more clearly if that makes sense.

Exactly my experience too.....I would even use the same words.

This exactly. I’d been listening to the new Lee Konitz Tone Poet LP before switching to the Graham Slee and Khozmo passive. Playing it through again, there was definitely more resolution, I could hear quite a bit more useful information about the instruments and space with the Slee/Khozmo compared with the Quad 34. I also tried the Slee Accession directly into the 303 via it’s buffered variable output and that was superb again.

advertisement

Back