advertisement

Quad 303 amp

andy831

pfm Member
Does anybody have any information relating to Serial number / age of quad amps. Not too sure if they were numbered consecutively?

I have read on the net that they produced about 90 thousand 303 up until the late seventies. The amp I have just bought has a 92k serial number suggesting it is a late one.

Any info would be good. (Searched on google with little success)

Quad will know, email them. Many years back I asked about my FM3 when I bought it a new tuning knob and was told it was born in 1976.

Tony.

PS you will need to find / buy / make a lead as the 303 has a weird 4 pin DIN input so you need a 4 pin DIN to 2 phonos.

No, that's Naim - the Quad is a simple signal and return for each channel IIRC - the 33 had separate switched power outlets for the 303 and FM3, but none of them share PSUs in any way. Neither the 303 nor FM3 has an on / off switch - it's not an issue, just turn them on at the mains plug.

Tony.

PS you will need to find / buy / make a lead as the 303 has a weird 4 pin DIN input so you need a 4 pin DIN to 2 phonos.

Thanks again Tony, Cable already sourced and bought, it on its way.

Incidently from another forum the 303 was manufactured, or sold at anyrate between 1967 and 1985 with 94000 being sold. So my guess at my serial numbered 928** suggest it to be a later one as I speculated.

Very very late ones had IEC mains sockets on them, rather than the Bulgin mini socket. I think the 4mm sockets became round flanged, rather than square as well. At any rate, you may not need to do any immediate servicing on it unless you want to replace the four big caps with mdern value ones (over double the value)...

DSJR

Spot on........ Round 4mm Speaker outlets and a "Kettle" lead. Still makes it at least 23 years old, so I would have thought a service was in order?

DSJR

Spot on........ Round 4mm Speaker outlets and a "Kettle" lead. Still makes it at least 23 years old, so I would have thought a service was in order?

By this time, UK sourced components were rather better and longer lasting IMO.

Certainly changing the big supply and coupling caps for 10000uF ones would be ideal. You may get away with not touching the others for a while yet, but hey, why not?;)

Send it to Quad, I had one a few years ago and sent it away, the postage cost me more than the service! Wish I still had it

advertisement

Back