advertisement

Quad 22 preamp and quad II service info needed

Glen Turner

Hi

I've just inherited a quad 22, and quad II and a Garrard 301 and a leak stereofetic tuner

There are a few problems with the 22
The radio comes through fine, but the garrard does not, there is a fuzz sound through one of the channels,
The fuzz would come and go first of all, but now has become worse and the garrard is now just about audible.

When I first used it, the sound from the garrard was fine, a couple of days ago. The radio is still coming through well, but still with fuzz through one channel.
I live in Brighton and am looking for someone Local to service the 22 and also one of the 11's

I dont know much at all about these amp's so am a novice!

Glen

I'd look at either sending them into Quad who still service them (and for extremely fair prices), or Amplabs, unless it absolutely has to be someone local.

I suspect Quad can still sell you shipping boxes too. I’d get both IIs serviced together with whoever you go to. It is good practice to swap parts out on both amps in a pair.

Just to add, there's AmpRegen too - who'd likely be my first choice - if you haven't already booked it in. AmpRegen are more purist about things, whereas Amplabs are firmly in the metal film resistors and polypropylene caps over any older alternatives (i.e. carbon film and paper in oil). Both will do a fantastic job.

Will take a look at AmpRegen, not booked in yet, I'm still deciding which specifications to go for.
Thanks for offer of service, but will be going for Amplab or Ampregen, Northhumberland is slightly to far!

Will take a look at AmpRegen, not booked in yet, I'm still deciding which specifications to go for.
Thanks for offer of service, but will be going for Amplab or Ampregen, Northhumberland is slightly to far!

I’d probably chose AmpRegen. Graeme is a true gent and has a real passion for vintage valve gear. Posts regularly over at vintage-radio.net as GrimJosef:

http://www.ampregen.com/ampregenabout.html

advertisement

Back