advertisement

QUAD 22/2 mono blocks

cooky1257

pfm Member
Can anyone give me a ballpark on how much a mint condition fully serviced set up of pre/power amps with Mullard valves would/should cost ?
Ta

The expensive valves are the KT66s, and they won’t be Mullards. GEC are what you are looking for there.

Hard to give a price range without more detail really, a lot depends on exactly what servicing has been done (some adds value, much subtracts).

The expensive valves are the KT66s, and they won’t be Mullards. GEC are what you are looking for there.

Hard to give a price range without more detail really, a lot depends on exactly what servicing has been done (some adds value, much subtracts).
Thanks Tony, I thought as much. I collected a pair of Tannoys today and the seller(electronics engineer) had an Aladdin's cave of gear including 4 sets of 22/11's, all looked absolutely mint but I'm green where valve gear is concerned.

I have 2x 22's and 3x II's, untested but in good nick and have been researching what to do with them.

The 22's aren't worth much - maybe £200 tops if in perfect nick, working, with original packaging. But the general consensus is that, unless you really want to stick with a full-period system, many modern pre amps will out perform them, are better suited to modern higher gain line level sources and will work fine with the II's.

II's are worth around £1300 a pair tops if working, in absolutely immaculate condition, with original packaging, a full set of original valves and a period correct electrical refurb. A good working pair without any original packaging seem to be anything between £800-£1100.

Untested is the main thing here - are they tested as working?

Ask him how much he wants. I'd open with an offer of £250 each if untested and £350 each if tested and go from there. You could probably make money on the 22's if you got them for £50 each, but I wouldn't go any higher than that unless I really wanted to use them.

I remember my refurbed IIs with a matched quad of NOS GEC KT66, honey-dripping sweet and enjoyable sound

The 22's aren't worth much - maybe £200 tops if in perfect nick, working, with original packaging. But the general consensus is that, unless you really want to stick with a full-period system, many modern pre amps will out perform them, are better suited to modern higher gain line level sources and will work fine with the II's.

II's are worth around £1300 a pair tops if working, in absolutely immaculate condition, with original packaging, a full set of original valves and a period correct electrical refurb. A good working pair without any original packaging seem to be anything between £800-£1100.

Ask him how much he wants. I'd open with an offer of £250 each if untested and £350 each if tested and go from there. You could probably make money on the 22's if you got them for £50 each, but I wouldn't go any higher than that unless I really wanted to use them.

I think that you may have to revise your pricing on the 22 control unit, foxwelljsly. Once unloved , even non-working examples in decent cosmetic condition can make surprisingly high prices e.g.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=133547832847

Earlier in the year a near mint example c/w original box topped £500

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The
I have 2x 22's and 3x II's, untested but in good nick and have been researching what to do with them.

22's aren't worth much - maybe £200 tops if in perfect nick, working, with original packaging. But the general consensus is that, unless you really want to stick with a full-period system, many modern pre amps will out perform them, are better suited to modern higher gain line level sources and will work fine with the II's.

Ask him how much he wants..

Thanks for the info, I'm more than happy with my Mark Levinsons but was offered the Quads but didn't have a clue as to their value.

I think that you may have to revise your pricing on the 22 control unit, foxwelljsly. Once unloved , even non-working examples in decent cosmetic condition can make surprisingly high prices e.g.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=133547832847

Earlier in the year a near mint example c/w original box topped £500

That seems to be a bit of an outlier. I was looking to sell mine, which are quite nice, and figured I could assume £120 each (untested) max. Also just noticed I have an FM1 in the box!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As ever condition is everything. Mint = £multiples.

PS If there is a genuinely good set I am potentially interested!

That seems to be a bit of an outlier. I was looking to sell mine, which are quite nice, and figured I could assume £120 each (untested) max. Also just noticed I have an FM1 in the box!

Yes, prices as we all know can wax and wane from week to week. There are so many variables involved in the buying / selling equation. However, depending on the chosen sales outlet, I think that you may do better than anticipated. Good luck if you do decide to sell.

There is life in those Quad 22 pre-amps.

This is one of my latest rebuilds to be used stand alone with its own psu.

50542959563_ef47d93f5d_z.jpg

50542959023_e33e51705e_z.jpg

50542958008_a30d368c40_z.jpg

50543816997_1b9dd54928_z.jpg

advertisement

Back