advertisement

Qobuz 24 Bit

It's the price of a concert ticket. Given how much my family and I use it, it's by far the best value item I spend on music all year. The Sublime annual subscription is not much more than two tickets to see Chelsea [insert alternative as appropriate] and the performances tend to be better.

Qobuz said no MQA a long time ago and they now provide booklets and artist data, taking Roon out of the equation for me.

Qobuz said no MQA a long time ago and they now provide booklets and artist data, taking Roon out of the equation for me.

I'm a Qobuz Sublime subscriber and am seriously considering the Sublime + option.

I signed up to Tidal for a few months to try MQA. Once I'd listened to all the MQA albums that interested me it was difficult to justify paying for Qobuz and Tidal, so I cancelled the Tidal subscription last week.

Despite being positive about MQA I found navigation an meta-data on Tidal far weaker than Qobuz, and then there's the matter of Qobuz supplying booklets as you mention.

I subscribe to the French Qobuz store, so it will cost 350 Euros a year, not as great a saving as it once was but still a little cheaper than the price in GBP.

I'll go for Sublime + as soon as it hits the street - am already a HiFi subscriber. A great service and ridiculously good value. Undreamable of not so long ago.

Does the sound at Qobuz sound marginally worse than a local full fat CD rip like it does with Tidal? I guess they'recsubject to the same watermarking?

Cool, now people can listen at over 100db and get the benefits, until they can't hear the difference due to hearing damage.

Does the sound at Qobuz sound marginally worse than a local full fat CD rip like it does with Tidal? I guess they'recsubject to the same watermarking?

Watermarking comes from the production companies, so yes, with certain catalogues it is unavoidable. For sure it is audible though.

I find there downloads are often very reasonable. I found a number of bargains here today (although I only buy the 16 bit generally)
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/label/naive-classique-2/download-streaming-albums

As a Sublime subscriber the high resolution downloads are often cheaper than the 16 bit version.

Another thing about Qobuz is that you can download purchases in more than one format (eg 24/96 and 16/44.1). I download the high resolution version then add "(Qobuz 24/96)", or similar to the album title. That means that if I download the 16/44.1 version of the same album iTunes doesn't merge the two together.

In the long run unlimited streaming, replacing physical purchase, is going to cost something like that or the artists starve

That suggests an average spend of 2 to 3 full price CDs per month per person who doesn't steal music. Is that about right, I suppose it could be? If all the people who currently steal music were to subscribe it would probably be only a fiver a month.

Artists are just going to have to get a proper bloody job and make music in the evening on their laptops. Rather than lounging around all day taking drugs and having sex and throwing things out of windows.

In the long run unlimited streaming, replacing physical purchase, is going to cost something like that or the artists starve

Depends on how large a share the artist gets, as opposed to record company/label/etc.

It might be legal, but it provides nothing to the artists

No, it provides nothing to major labels. Do not support them - they need to die. Support artists by buying directly from their websites or from Bandcamp and the like. Bleating about stealing music is just repeating propaganda from labels which have lost any credibility and moral authority. The industry is in transition and so should your consumption.

Is there a way to control quobuz remotely yet?

I use a headless mac mini to play audio, and with iTunes or room, I can control the audio from my phone / tablet. Qobuz don't seem to have covered that base yet?

Is there a way to control quobuz remotely yet?

I use a headless mac mini to play audio, and with iTunes or room, I can control the audio from my phone / tablet. Qobuz don't seem to have covered that base yet?

Audirvana can control Qobuz using its desktop program and the iOS app. That's how I use Qobuz myself - though I run the Mac Mini with a screen rather than headless. I have the program running on the Mac and select what to play on my iPad.

Never been entirely happy with any audio playback systems that weren't iTunes (or more recently roon). Most seemed to have bugs in at least some aspect,

Never been entirely happy with any audio playback systems that weren't iTunes (or more recently roon). Most seemed to have bugs in at least some aspect,

I've been using a Mac mini as a source again recently, running Audirvana 3. I had the vague impression it sounded slightly better running using its own database, and the Qobuz integration was potentially interesting but it definitely seems more solid/stable using 'iTunes integration' where Audirvana is only handling the audio processing.

The computer remains a secondary source for me, not least because the third-party software on file-based music servers all seems on a scale from a bit to extremely crap.

advertisement

Back