advertisement

Q? on VAT on used equipment on eBay?

audiopile

pfm Member
Didn't know where else to ask -so- used/reconditioned stereo equipment on UK eBay -do the listed items prices include VAT ? Makes a difference since I'm across the pond and shouldn't have to pay VAT.

The vat has already been collected and gone to the government on used gear only leaving vat on profit on the item and maybe vat on repair charges AFIAK.

Yes but all of that is of little consequence if the seller isn't VAT registered.

Chances are that if it goes overseas the recipient will be charged import duty and VAT/GST as though it were a new item. Same problem with used kit going between UK and EU now.

If you are from Australia eBay will deduct GST and a lot more for processing fees. This includes gst on the postage cost as well. They then remit the gst to the Australian government. If you buy directly from the retailer there isn’t any VAT.

Ask the seller if you want to be sure, and tell them what country you are in. The listing will state a VAT number if the seller is registered.

Regardless, UK VAT is not levied on exports from the UK but you may have to pay local tax on import.

Didn't know where else to ask -so- used/reconditioned stereo equipment on UK eBay -do the listed items prices include VAT ? Makes a difference since I'm across the pond and shouldn't have to pay VAT.

As ever, the answer is: it depends. Lots of different rules/scenarios in play here.

All of which are irrelevant unless seller is prepared to accept payment from you without VAT, as item is being exported.

Many used items will have no VAT content, so irrelevant.

Many sellers are not VAT registered so not relevant.

Even amongst the VAT registered sellers, who are selling an item including VAT, will have no interest in faffing about with the paperwork, so won't sell without VAT.

Moral; assume the price you see us the price you will pay. Add to that the cost of shipping. Then add any local duties & taxes to give your total.

surely if it's an item sold by an individual who does it for a hobby, they won't be VAT registered, so it's not included.
you will get charged import duty and vat on its value if abroad though, as colasblue said...

The situation isn't much better if you deal with a VAT registered second user dealer since the dealer won't be able to reclaim VAT on the incoming item itself. All he can deduct is the VAT on his markup so you might save a little but you'll still pay duty and VAT on the full value when you import.

I guess I'm just going to ask the seller. importing into the USA - so I won't pay duty/import fees (at least i never had -this would be my first relatively large purchase/importation post Brexit).

I guess I'm just going to ask the seller. importing into the USA - so I won't pay duty/import fees (at least i never had -this would be my first relatively large purchase/importation post Brexit).

Into the USA also be aware of the De Minimis Value - which I think is USD800 but you would have to check. If you have only ever bought goods under this value then import tax won't have been an issue as soon as it goes over then (potentially) it is.

Coda II -THAT I didn't know! Could be a reason to break shipments up or even order a few days apart to stay under $800. Mostly I have ordered parts over the years and nothing has gone past that majic number.

VAT is a purchase tax applied by the country that the purchaser lives in. Check your local country VAT rules.

The seller does not collect VAT in the UK if it is a private seller, so the purchaser pays the vat when it arrives at its destination according to the local rules. If the buyer is in the UK then there is no VAT to pay, as second-hand goods do not attract VAT on a private sale.

If buying from a dealer, even second hand goods are vatable, as stated above the dealer charges that VAT and passes it on to the UK govt. If the dealer is selling outside the UK he can sell ex vat and make it clear to the UK govt that he has done so, and then he does not pass any VAT collected to them. If you are in the UK and you buy from second hand from a dealer you pay the full price including VAT.

If you were moving overseas and taking personal items with you you wouldn't have to pay tax. Can't you just say you're shipping a personal item rather than it being a sales transaction?

If you were moving overseas and taking personal items with you you wouldn't have to pay tax. Can't you just say you're shipping a personal item rather than it being a sales transaction?
Yes, no, maybe :)

Depends on local rules.
If from a UK dealer then the dealer has to show hmrc proof of the sale outside the UK, otherwise VAT has to be collected from the buyer.

The receiving country then applies its local rules for VAT and import duties. For example, if you are moving from the UK to France and bringing your worldly goods with you, you would have to prove that you had a permanent place of residence in France and that it was not just a holiday home. You would be given a 12 month window in which to complete that move, after which anything brought in to the country would attract the standard VAT and import duties.

Of course you could take a chance that the various govt agencies wouldn’t notice you importing goods, but that is illegal and carries penalties above the duty due.

advertisement

Back