advertisement

Q for Bob Dylan obsessives - Idiot wind with 'Spooky Organ'

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
Apologies in advance if this a bit too arcane for the PFM massive....

For a while now, I've been meaning to knock up a playlist of the famous withdrawn/test pressing version of 'Blood on the tracks' from the massive 'More Blood, More Tracks' bootleg box.

A vinyl version of this came out on RSD 2019, but now goes for silly money and it seems pointless buying that if I have all the tracks already.

However, I'm stumped on which version of 'Idiot Wind' to use or even if the correct version is one the box set.

I think the version used on the test pressing is track 10 on disc 5 of the box set - take 4 with organ overdub - but I'm not sure.

Anyone know?

cheers

Apologies in advance if this a bit too arcane for the PFM massive....

For a while now, I've been meaning to knock up a playlist of the famous withdrawn/test pressing version of 'Blood on the tracks' from the massive 'More Blood, More Tracks' bootleg box.

A vinyl version of this came out on RSD 2019, but now goes for silly money and it seems pointless buying that if I have all the tracks already.

However, I'm stumped on which version of 'Idiot Wind' to use or even if the correct version is one the box set.

I think the version used on the test pressing is track 10 on disc 5 of the box set - take 4 with organ overdub - but I'm not sure.

Anyone know?

cheers
According to Clinton Heylin in "Still On The Road" (pages 45 -46 in the edition I have):
"When he [Dylan] returned to the song three nights later, he persevered with a simple guitar/bass arrangement, only overdubbing some atmospheric organ - courtesy of Paul Griffin - after the fact.That version from the 19th was assigned to the original test pressing of the album, with said organ overdub and even a four-line vocal 'punch-in'."
See also https://www.bjorner.com/DSN02710 1974 Blood On The Tracks recording sessions.htm but that doesn't mention Paul Griffin at all!
Confused? You will be... I've got the single CD "More Blood... ", the version on there (no organ) is one of Bob's greatest vocals IMO.

advertisement

Back