advertisement

Q for Audio Note gang

Pirx

pfm Member
Got old P4 monos to update. No funds to buy AN electrolytic caps and I don't believe their basic series are any better than regular caps for 1/3 the price. Each mono block has different set of caps for whatever reason. I need to change PSU and cathode bypases.. Anybody familiar which series of which brand AN uses ( or used to use ) before they asked to rebrand them with custom wrap in their basic offerings ? I just want to keep it somewhat genuine on the budget since they still hold pretty significant value and have upgraded C-core opts and copper case Pio's ( one failed ) in them .

I got old and only believe in money. Some 20 years ago I updated a pair of AN Quests with tantalum resistors, copper caps in copper tubes and black gates. There was a difference but it wasn't anything one would expect for huge outlay and flowery prose surrounding those parts. Hard times came and I had to sell it. It sold without problem because it had all the right bits. I thought that it will be relatively easy to DIY something better for fraction of the cost. I was wrong. It is a religion like Naim. Once an infidel will touch it with his dirty hands and "ruin it " with a wrong cap or resistor and you can kiss goodbye any re-sale value. I bought the amps for myself, but since I hit the bottom so many times before I have no illusions that I will avoid hitting it again. The amps have over twenty years . One copper coupling cap shorted like they like to do and took tube and bypass cap along. Both monos were worked on before and have a mix of different caps in between them. I need to clean the mess. Besides , the cages get hot and it simply has to be done for reliability sake. I looked at Hifi Collective thinking I will bring them to silver status with tantalums and AN caps since they already have C-Core Opts but it ain't happening any time soon becauase of cost.
I need several 220uF/450V for power supply , 8x 220uf /100V (160v) for 300B bypass and 8x 470uf/25V-63V for driver cathode bypass on 5687 drivers. Traditionally AN used Rubycon caps and before they cleaned they act they pretty much loaded into their basic series whatever they could get cheap and was good enough. The assembly was also ho- hum . But for several years already it all looks world class inside and it costs accordingly.
PS. I'm not sure if it qualifies for magic, but their super perma C-core all silver OPT sounds out of this world. Truly ,since I had the chance to swap the opts in my amps for a trial session so it's not all bollocks for suckers.

advertisement

Back