advertisement

Puzzling connection problem, TV to m-DAC/pre-amp

I think you have the ADC connected to an input rather than an output.
Will double check but don’t think so. It is a legacy out from tv. Two different sized jack sockets are meant to accept supplied string of jack to female component outs for sound and vision. I have lost this and have a jack to left and right female phonos
"..bodged the toslink connector into the socket with Blutac - this holds for a bit but because the angle is awkward, not very long..."

Could a stronger mechanical connection be made with some Sugru or Polymorph (aka modeler's plastic)..?

Interesting - thank you. Superglue was suggested but I would rather not! Would the polymorph come off if I wanted it to?

Will double check but don’t think so. It is a legacy out from tv. Two different sized jack sockets are meant to accept supplied string of jack to female component outs for sound and vision. I have lost this and have a jack to left and right female phonos

The twin jack and break-out cable arrangement is an input. I had a quick look at the manual for your set.

Thank you. Will investigate further tonight. It is a Panasonic TX47

Thank you for that; looks like a plan. I do have a Blu-ray successfully connected to mDAC. What is against is that I am trying to make operation as simple as poss to placate my wife But I have bought a harmony remote recently so I should be able to programme that so it happens without having to think about it.

Yes, that's exactly the downside of the ARC way of doing things. Some think the OPPOs over priced, but the do add a limited, but useful Imo, HT capability. In your case it definitely simplifies the connectivity between TV - Bluray - Dac, just the one HDMI cable between TV and Dac, just one optical/coax between Bluray and dac.

The downside is the switch on / switch off sequence. I have the oppo set to turn on the TV (HDMI-CEC) I think the protocol is called. But not all TV's implement the protocol in the same way. In my case, I turn on the Oppo, it turns on the TV, but turning off the oppo doesn't turn off the TV. Turning off the TV turns off the Oppo, if it is on (Samsung TV - 2014 vintage).

The twin jack and break-out cable arrangement is an input. I had a quick look at the manual for your set.
ACHIEVED. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and taking the time. I was on a flipping wild goose chase until your intervention.
I do wonder whether the sound is degraded by coming from the mini jack out and madly complicated signal path via the ADC but it is certainly sounding alright and doing what I wanted. Brilliant.

ACHIEVED. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and taking the time. I was on a flipping wild goose chase until your intervention.
I do wonder whether the sound is degraded by coming from the mini jack out and madly complicated signal path via the ADC but it is certainly sounding alright and doing what I wanted. Brilliant.

You are very welcome. I do think that the minijack to ADC to DAC arrangement is a little convoluted, but I assume that you are doing that because the MDAC is being used as a preamp. I definitely think you will get better results by using the TV's optical output, if you can figure out a way to hold the Toslink plug in place. Have you tried duct tape?

You are very welcome. I do think that the minijack to ADC to DAC arrangement is a little convoluted, but I assume that you are doing that because the MDAC is being used as a preamp. I definitely think you will get better results by using the TV's optical output, if you can figure out a way to hold the Toslink plug in place. Have you tried duct tape?

Not yet! Might have a go. Meanwhile, where would you set the output on the headphone socket? I have gone for 75/100. Yes I am going through all this because I am using the MDAC. I used to run a 5.1 system but that gets complicated when you also want to use a dedicated stereo amp and in the end I didn’t think the proliferation of boxes was worth it to me in a domestic setting - the MDAC sorts out the stereo signal from a big movie very well and I have a good pair of speakers with plenty of low end so I can still feel the rumble when something explodes

Thank you. Will investigate further tonight. It is a Panasonic TX47

........ What is against is that I am trying to make operation as simple as poss to placate my wife.........

For that very same reason I bought sound bars for 2 recently purchased Sony smart TV's - didn't think it wise to let my wife near the hi-fi when she complained about the sound quality of TV's & she seems to be coping quite well in the main.

...Meanwhile, where would you set the output on the headphone socket? I have gone for 75/100.

I cannot give you a definitive answer at this distance, but I would try it at 90-95% and adjust from there. Ideally you want the output level from the TV to match the input level expected by your ADC. Your ADC is probably expecting a line level input. Line level is probably around 100% on the headphone volume control, but this is based on nothing more than an educated guess. You would need to check with Panasonic or measure the output yourself to know for sure. If the input level to the ADC is too high, it will clip. This will distort the analogue output from the MDAC. If your ADC has a level meter or if you can insert a meter between the TV and ADC, you can use that to set the correct level. Most likely it will be down to guesswork. You will probably get better results by erring on the side of caution and dialling the level down a bit, hence my 90-95% starting point.

Wow! Just had a look at your website. You live surrounded by truly gorgeous weapons grade hi-fi. Makes my set up look rudimentary. I have a Bluesound Vault 1 as my music source. Not sure if I would go that way again if I was starting out, but it was the first time I had streamed and the one box solution was seductive for a nervous buyer.
I cannot give you a definitive answer at this distance, but I would try it at 90-95% and adjust from there. Ideally you want the output level from the TV to match the input level expected by your ADC. Your ADC is probably expecting a line level input. Line level is probably around 100% on the headphone volume control, but this is based on nothing more than an educated guess. You would need to check with Panasonic or measure the output yourself to know for sure. If the input level to the ADC is too high, it will clip. This will distort the analogue output from the MDAC. If your ADC has a level meter or if you can insert a meter between the TV and ADC, you can use that to set the correct level. Most likely it will be down to guesswork. You will probably get better results by erring on the side of caution and dialling the level down a bit, hence my 90-95% starting point.
t

This is probably irrelevant because I have a 6 year old Sony. I realise many TVs now don't have RCA line outs, but I'd be lost without mine. The headphone mini jack out is not only powered by the TV's amplification but goes through rubbish vol. control as well, and (on mine), the difference in s.q. is marked. Line out has always been better on every Sony I've had, connected by long I/Cs direct to headphone amp. cum pre..

I'd dread changing to a TV without them, as I frequently listen to TV on my cans through a decent h/phone amp, which re-routes it to my proper pre. when needed. Still, h/phone out sound is better than TV sound, which has deteriorated as the visual aspect has improved. Progress? Two steps forward,.........!

advertisement

Back