advertisement

Purcell

The opera Dido and Aeneas is worth hearing, it's not too long - fits on a single CD. And it has the famous aria known as Dido's Lament. There are countless versions of it available.

The Fantasies for viols are also interesting, lots of unusual harmonies.

Michael Nyman's soundtrack for The Draughtsman's Contract is heavily indebted to Purcell, and gives a twentieth century view of Henry's music.

The opera Dido and Aeneas is worth hearing, it's not too long - fits on a single CD. And it has the famous aria known as Dido's Lament. There are countless versions of it available.

The Fantasies for viols are also interesting, lots of unusual harmonies.

Michael Nyman's soundtrack for The Draughtsman's Contract is heavily indebted to Purcell, and gives a twentieth century view of Henry's music.

Seconded :)

Zener,

If you just want a sampler before digging further, this looks decent.

Otherwise, here are the essential bits of the Purcell repertoire:

Instrumental (Chamber music):
- The Fantasies for viols (thirded!) are a masterpiece of counterpoint by a young Purcell, reckoned by musicologists to be up there with Bach's Art of the Fugue. I love the Jordi Savall* version for its ethereal atmosphere; the Phantasm version is well reviewed (but haven't heard it).
- Also: Ten Sonatas by the Retrospect Trio* on the Linn label.

Vocal
- Songs: a major portion of Purcell's output. Among the classics here IMHO are the recordings Alfred Deller* made towards the end of his life for the Harmonia Mundi label, such as "Music for a While", with W. Christie and W. Kuijken et alia providing classy accompaniment. It's an oldish recording now (1979), and Deller was perhaps past his peak but the feeling he puts into each song is tremendous (I've just slapped it on the CDP for the sheer enjoyment). More recent versions: G. Lesne, McNair/Hogwood, etc.

- Odes (to honour St Cecilia, on the Queen's birthday, etc.) for orchestra, choir and soloists: good fun all of 'em. I have an older Gardiner LP of some of these (Sound the Trumpet, Come Ye Sons of Art) that I like, but the Parrott/Taverner Players version is supposed to be better both musically and soundwise.

- Operas & assimilated:
Dido & Aeneas: E. Haim*, R. Jacobs*, W. Christie are among the best of the more recent versions. Or the 1961 Decca by Lewis with Janet Baker if you want a more traditional one.
The Fairy Queen: I have the Christie*, which is excellent; Gardiner and Christophers also among the good ones apparently. Savall* did an orchestral suites version that is excellent.
King Arthur: William Christie's version is vy good, as are Pinnock and Gardiner's versions.

*: good to excellent sound quality

I've got the need to "dig further" and I have no preference, so the recomendations above are perfect. Going to amazon now to purchase. A very good mate of mine was also interested , so I'll pass the list on to him.

We like 'Ayres for the Theatre' performed by the 'Parley of Instruments'.

Crispian Steele-Perkins gives a great baroque trumpet performance

This is just wonderful , I'll play this on Christmas day as I prepare the dinner. I'm going to order some more , I rather like Purcell.

Glad you like it (phew!). Was sort of wondering about the other version (Phantasm).

advertisement

Back