advertisement

Psybient (ish)

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Okay my Ultimae Records thread isn’t doing too well so I’ll try a different tack. Here are my top 10 in no particular order:

OTT
Entheogenic
Shpongle
Tripswitch
HUVA Network
Easily Embarrassed
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Aes Dana
Asura
Astropilot

I love this stuff and could list another ten. If you like this kind of thing you’ll probably know the above but if not, give it a try.

The most recent record I bought was Lifeforms by FSOL, so I’m with you, but I seem to like the old stuff.

Sorry, forgot you’re all over 50.
Easy tiger . . . not all oldies are old farts. I'm a massive Carbon Based Lifeforms fan who, to my mind, outclass all the others in your list - although maybe Spongle get points just for their batshit crazy sense of fun.

And FWIW, I can't stand Pink Floyd, prog rock, Diana Krall etc and have been to Berghain twice in the last year. I'm 54

:p

Unfortunately I like Pink Floyd and prog too. Who is Diana Krall?

I guess my top three are Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms and Aes Dana since they get the vinyl treatment (honourable mention to Entheogenic who I can’t find on vinyl).

Spent the evening listening to Carbon Based Lifeforms.

I’m feeling suitably chilled. :cool:

Love it. Have got to 46 without ever hearing it.

My favourite of this genre is by far ‘Woob’ - go and explore 1194 the album.

The only bunch I've ever heard of in your list are Shpongle who I love. Just listening to Carbon Based Lifeforms MOS 6851 and think I need to buy it, and may take Dougs suggestion of World of Sleepers too.
Oddly, I seem to remember thinking that Alex was older than me the one time we met, and I'm 61....
If anyone wants to suggest a few other albums I should try then please do.

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot you’re all over 50.

All you have given me young Alex, is a list, where are the links, what do I search for, is your list group names, or track titles.

Is this ultimate things football related, please wise me up

Bloss

Yes, sorry bloss, it’s a list of artists, commonly referred to as psybient, ie, varying degrees of ambient, downtempo, trance, techno, dub, sampling, general tripiness and whatnot.

Many good ones are signed to Ultimae Records. There’s a link to a free sampler in my Ultimae thread.

PS I qualified for a free bus pass a month ago. I am moving towards second childhood via my early twenties.

Here are some album recommendations:

Shpongle - Are you Shpongled (IMO Shpongle get slightly worse with each outing).
Entheogenic - Dialogue of the Speakers
Aes Dana - Pollen
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Derelicts
OTT - Skylon

Yes, sorry bloss, it’s a list of artists, commonly referred to as psybient, ie, varying degrees of ambient, downtempo, trance, techno, dub, sampling, general tripiness and whatnot.

Many good ones are signed to Ultimae Records. There’s a link to a free sampler in my Ultimae thread.

PS I qualified for a free bus pass a month ago. I am moving towards second childhood via my early twenties.

New one on me psybient. The nearest I have to this is the Orb and similar stuff. Never got on with prog much, only the whimsical stuff really, early early PF, Kevin Ayers.

I will give it a bit more listening though.

Bloss

The only bunch I've ever heard of in your list are Shpongle who I love. Just listening to Carbon Based Lifeforms MOS 6851 and think I need to buy it, and may take Dougs suggestion of World of Sleepers too.
Oddly, I seem to remember thinking that Alex was older than me the one time we met, and I'm 61....
If anyone wants to suggest a few other albums I should try then please do.
In the same vein as World of Sleepers CBL's Hydroponic Garden is also excellent. Whilst good, I'm less taken with their later stuff, these two early albums really seem to gel and hang together in away later work does not. Its horses for courses however.

One has to choose partnering drugs with care.
Ive been into double figures every day with drugs for years
I have loved everything the Carbon Based Life Forms have put out over the years.
Sadly my good friend that got me into them years ago passed away recently So haven't
Played any for a while.

advertisement

Back