advertisement

PS3 - Old Games & Patches - Some Advice Please

rtrt

pfm Member
I have a ps3 which hasn't been turned on for a couple or 3 years - even then more for films than games.

Been parked on my backside this weekend with a knee problem and thinking about getting it up and running again.

Having a look around for some games and there seem to be plenty of bargains on Amazon, ebay and so on.

But Ive just had a thought, if a game disc (new or 2nd hand) hasn't been updated for lets say 2, 3 or 4 years, then there may be subsequent downloadable patches that were released to fix or improve the game.

Thing as, as it's 2, 3 or 4 years old, are those patches still out there on servers somewhere or have they gone, in which case I'm stuck with an unpatched game?

There seem to be different versions of a given game on Amazon, so I suppose the best thing might be to buy latest not cheapest.

Anyway - any advice welcome before I go off the whole idea :confused:

The 360 is still on the servers so I presume the PS3 is. Both companies have realised that it makes sense to offer support for an extra few years.

We get into the whole realm of backwards compatibility and why the punter ends up with a rack full of games consoles to keep playing the games they have shelled out for.

Xbox one has just offered some backwards compatibility.

In a way it gets a bit annoying that a whole new architecture has been used.

Anyway Im almost certain you will be ok. There arent that many patches offered. A quick google will tell if the ps3 is online.

Ditto. My early PS3 went kaput last year and was replaced with a new one. Legacy/Out of support games, like Gran Turismo 5, could be patched/updated, but, obviously, the online modes were no longer available. In that case, GT6 was so cheap, I just ordered that. Still took ages to update, though. The only two game franchises I ever indulge in both begin with GT. :)

Thanks vm for the replies - as you say suspect i'll be fine.

I ordered few and where an obviously later option was available I went for it unless it was a silly price difference - I like living life on the edge :D

advertisement

Back