advertisement

Protecting local airfields from housing developments

Jamie

pfm Member
I live in a small-ish village south of Nottingham, with a local active airfield a couple of miles down the road. It is pretty useful for us, as the Air Cadets building the boy attends is there, and the airport building has a nice little cafe for coffee and cakes, and a weekend full English. We like to go at the weekend and just watch the planes (as the boy is a plane geek, which has rubbed off a bit).

In recent years, there have been plans to totally obliterate it, with a massive development of thousands of houses, which we are not keen on, as it would remove a useful asset.

If anyone wants to support in stopping these sorts of developments (I guess ours is not unique, or maybe there will be future plans elsewhere), please sign:

Signed. General Aviation is an important contributor to the U.K. economy. Our flying training is highly regarded, globally, and many jobs depend on it. Also, they are a wildlife haven. GA has been under constant threat for decades, many local airfields have closed because the landowners saw more money in development.

A lot of plane flights from small airfields are for fee paying passengers in small aircraft out for a bit of a jolly. They have a good time and those who live below have to put up with unnecessary noise and pollution all because someone wants a selfish jolly.

Customer of mine runs a charity recognising former military airfields and places cairns on them marking them for posterity, he might be interested OP.

Kenneth Bannerman​

Charity Founder/Trustee

One of Britain’s leading authorities on national airfield history and most significantly progressive private businessmen, involved in both areas for many decades.

I live in a small-ish village south of Nottingham, with a local active airfield a couple of miles down the road. It is pretty useful for us, as the Air Cadets building the boy attends is there, and the airport building has a nice little cafe for coffee and cakes, and a weekend full English. We like to go at the weekend and just watch the planes (as the boy is a plane geek, which has rubbed off a bit).

In recent years, there have been plans to totally obliterate it, with a massive development of thousands of houses, which we are not keen on, as it would remove a useful asset.

If anyone wants to support in stopping these sorts of developments (I guess ours is not unique, or maybe there will be future plans elsewhere), please sign:

Nice one, what an asset to have

On a personal note, you'll never catch me in a plane. (Its irrational i know) But that opinion, should not stop others who want to. We sit on the porch some nights and watch the big boys vapour trails. Great stuff

Customer of mine runs a charity recognising former military airfields and places cairns on them marking them for posterity, he might be interested OP.

Kenneth Bannerman​

Charity Founder/Trustee

One of Britain’s leading authorities on national airfield history and most significantly progressive private businessmen, involved in both areas for many decades.

Thanks, yes it was used in WW2, as a training base for RAF pilots.

Or you could consider that the pilot of the plane that whisks you off frequently to your Spanish villa started by flying in small planes from local airfields.....
The plane that flies from Bristol to Murcia is over the sea nearly all of the time and is invisible. Small aircraft are noisy and visible.

Fortunately our local airfield got taken over by a developer and is now a housing estate.

53026442494_fd56affc16_b.jpg

Yeah, there’s nothing quite like a couple of thousand homes plonked on nearby land to bring peace and quiet to your village.
Or you could ask the question which is the most important, providing much needed accommodation and providing a massive boost to the local economy or allowing some selfish plonker the opportunity to fly in large circles and polluting the locals and providing hardly any boost to the local economy.

Signed - because I agree and also there are similar moves afoot on club-level motorsport for example - esp where people move near a venue , that's been running over a century in some cases, moaning about the noise (- at what point did you, not research the area ..? * )

Such is having a downer on some other forms of outdoor recreation uses, doubtless: any given activity might not be 'my thing' - but I would sincerely wish remain available for those who do-enjoy.

* the MSA explicitly banned 'tyre-warming' on all accredited hillclimb circuits some 5-6 years ago - principally, just to protect Prescott from a very new NIMBY who didn't like the intermittent squealing sound, on a few weekends a year. NB there are very few houses anything like close to the track, by which I mean - within 3/4mile..!

Or ...maybe I should start having a moan about the Badminton Estate, because for a week or two a year people who love horses completely mess -up traffic in a 10 mile radius, and my access to M4 J18 whether I need it or not. Yeah.

I can't see anything in this thread about the socioeconomic basis of the development. Is it solely a developer looking to make a return? or something a little more nuanced than that?

Or you could ask the question which is the most important, providing much needed accommodation and providing a massive boost to the local economy or allowing some selfish plonker the opportunity to fly in large circles and polluting the locals and providing hardly any boost to the local economy.
If it was as black and white as that, I’d be surprised.
And I bet the developers will be oh so careful about making sure they offset the effect on water drainage, flood prevention, local roads not able to cope, no surgeries, no schools nearby, no public transport, all the while building houses with parking space fit only for an original mini per dwelling.

If it was as black and white as that, I’d be surprised.
And I bet the developers will be oh so careful about making sure they offset the effect on water drainage, flood prevention, local roads not able to cope, no surgeries, no schools nearby, no public transport, all the while building houses with parking space fit only for an original mini per dwelling.
All of that sort of thing was covered by the usual section 160 and was fully approved by nearly every local councillor of all political persuasions. At a rough guess for every one supporter of the small aircraft business there was dozens of those against it.

advertisement

Back