1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Proportional Representation

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Jun 27, 2020.

1. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I imagine this is not where Drood thought his PR thread would end up - debating the Maffia.

2. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

I am not sure it matters what system you have so long as it’s corruption free, politics is one of the worst examples of “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know”, so we get monumental waste on a local and national level. HS2, aircraft carriers we cannot afford to defend etc...

3. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

A good political system makes a politican's job a precarious one.

The many people who criticise PR for creating "weak, unstable" governments are missing the point entirely: a government should never be complacent and lazy, and they should never be unopposed. Coalition is a form of soft opposition: you want to govern, you have to compromise with groups who represent different interests to yours.

roman and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This is very true but ‘centrist’ has become a pejorative term of late, compromise does tend to lead to a middle way. I am fine with this, lots of people are not unfortunately.

KrisW likes this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

"Centrist" is indeed a pejorative term, used by politicians who want to leverage a broad appeal to impose a narrow agenda of their own. Petty fascists from both ends of the left-right divide, whose idea of what's best for the people has never been sullied by actually asking them.

6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Are they like an organised crime syndicate for people who failed the spelling test in the Mafia entrance exam? ;)

thebigfredc likes this.
  7. Seeker_UK

Can someone explain the principle of 'centrism'. Is it an absolute position - true centre of the left-right political spectrum or is variable and sits in the centre of the Overton Window?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  8. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

In my defence, I wrote it bleary eyed during a bout of insomnia in the wee hours and on the small screen of my iphone. Will try harder next timme.

roman and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  9. Seeker_UK

B- Gud efort.

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Whilst weaving raffia.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Isn't the Raffia the organised crime syndicate for people too weedy to be in the Mafia?

roman likes this.
  12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

In this context, I am reminded of Grabber in Molesworth, 'skool captane and winer of the mrs joyful prize for rafia work'.

13. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

Organised twine.

14. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The Sleep Book - Dr Guy Meadows

15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I suggest Leicester.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Woodface like this.
  16. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

The Labour Party has chosen to use STV for some elections to the NEC, previously FPTP was used. This decision has not been universally welcomed.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

STV is utter bollocks, it won’t help kill the two dinosaur parties at all. We need a system that will obtain representation for Green votes etc etc. I realise that also probably means the racist far-right will get representation, but that is democracy and what we currently have just isn’t. I utterly detest Farage and his ilk, he is the absolute worst kind of elite racist playing with fascism, racial scapegoating and division to make himself and his pimps exceptionally rich, but the simple fact is his brand of shit got a heck of a lot of votes that never translated into representation. It showed the system failed. The knuckle-dragging racist shit that vote for the far-right are just as disenfranchised and unrepresented as green liberal types such as myself, and whilst they’d likely start throwing some of my friends in concentration camps given half a chance I’ll still defend democracy as a core concept.

Woodface likes this.