advertisement

Proms 2022

We always listen on R3 - the pictures are better.
I agree, generally much better to listen to music without visual distraction, but once in a while it’s nice to see the musicians and their fantastic instruments. Sadly not when that idiotic lighting director is let loose.

As a slight diversion my Aunt used to be very keen to record concerts from TV when she was out, such was her prowess with the "video" that she ended up with a fine selection of football matches.

As a slight diversion my Aunt used to be very keen to record concerts from TV when she was out, such was her prowess with the "video" that she ended up with a fine selection of football matches.
It was the reason I bought a Panasonic NICAM vhs recorder in about 1990-to tape the Proms TV broadcasts in glorious stereo. Chucked all the tapes out when we sold our house 18 months ago.

Marks of respect, such as two minutes' silence pre-match/performance and black armbands I can appreciate, but all the cancellations and the BBC going completely overboard just seem to me products of a 'let's spread the misery for everyone!' mindset. Surely a life is worth celebrating, or not.

Last Night scrapped. Well, it's the only Prom I don't ever listen to so no great loss.
I have tended to avoid the last night in recent years but as a traditional sort of affair I would have thought that a change of programme could have been an opportunity for a respectful tribute and celebration of the Queen’s life, perhaps more poignant and moving than silence.

I have tended to avoid the last night in recent years but as a traditional sort of affair I would have thought that a change of programme could have been an opportunity for a respectful tribute and celebration of the Queen’s life, perhaps more poignant and moving than silence.
TO be fair they managed it in 2001.

advertisement

Back