advertisement

Proms 2022

gavreid

Pretty Words...
Wot no Proms thread this year? First night tonight - apparently Freddie de Tommaso has withdrawn owing to testing positive for Covid!

What are the highlights folks?

The TV schedule is depressing. Vastly more dumbed-down than usual, which has hardly been high in recent years. Looks like about 50% classical and nothing challenging.

The TV schedule is depressing. Vastly more dumbed-down than usual, which has hardly been high in recent years. Looks like about 50% classical and nothing challenging.

I thought it might be more celebratory give the disruptions of the past two years but they're starting with a requiem of all things!

Went on Tuesday to hear the Vaughan Williams and Tippett Full Fourths. https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evfj6q Just managed to get there on time after stopping off to see Black Midi selling ice creams in Soho Square! I thought it was cool but my niece who grew up with Geordie Greep thought it was hilarious!
I didn't anticipate trouble ahead when I bought tickets from what I thought was the official site. Unfortunately Viagogo are not the official site's agents and they re sell and over sell tickets. We had to wait until our tickets were eventually scanned and missed the first 10 mins. The RHA say they are helpless to stop this nonsense. Surely something has to be done. Google and their search engines shouldn't let these parasites anywhere near real businesses.
Other than that an enjoyable evening!

I saw the BBC 'Highlights' page. It has completely put me off. Not only dumbed down, but just about everyone they featured was young and photogenic. It's very superficial these days. I got into classical music by picking up a record of a piece I'd never heard, with a cover of a landscape. It was just the music that did it.

Rare treat tonight - Ethel Smyth`s opera The Wreckers.
did you enjoy it?
[post moved from another thread]
I really really love the Wreckers last night (first one i have attended this season) . I had a go listening to the (lone) recorded version and could get excited but was absolutely blown away by the really well (semi) staged Glyndebourne production at the RAH. Shame it was rather under-attended, but the singing was out of this world. It seemed like a strange hybrid of French grand opera and Tristan. If glyndebourne do it for their ...on Tour this winter then I would recommend giving it a look.
Might as well get used to it, because the resurrection and beatification of Ethel Smyth is probably inevitable.

Incidentally, my sister -in-law was talking about last year's concert by the Aurora Orchestra. They played the Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody and then the Firebird Suite, without scores.
The Firebird was OK, but the Rachmaninov was pointless. The young soloist played without any intention to communicate anything. And the orchestra were all quite young. I don't know how dreary concertos are supposed to appeal to a young audience.

I saw the BBC 'Highlights' page. It has completely put me off. Not only dumbed down, but just about everyone they featured was young and photogenic. It's very superficial these days. I got into classical music by picking up a record of a piece I'd never heard, with a cover of a landscape. It was just the music that did it.
Well I think it's just the highlights page not the Proms themselves.

did you enjoy it?
[post moved from another thread]
I really really love the Wreckers last night (first one i have attended this season) . I had a go listening to the (lone) recorded version and could get excited but was absolutely blown away by the really well (semi) staged Glyndebourne production at the RAH. Shame it was rather under-attended, but the singing was out of this world. It seemed like a strange hybrid of French grand opera and Tristan. If glyndebourne do it for their ...on Tour this winter then I would recommend giving it a look.
Might as well get used to it, because the resurrection and beatification of Ethel Smyth is probably inevitable.

I enjoyed it greatly and I think it probably was better than the1994 recording which I have had for years.

More Ethel Smyth tonight.....

I enjoyed it greatly and I think it probably was better than the1994 recording which I have had for years.

More Ethel Smyth tonight.....
Ah -missed that

Concerto for Violin and Horn(27 mins)
Any good?
I may give it a listen later on this afternoon.

Ah -missed that

Concerto for Violin and Horn(27 mins)
Any good?
I may give it a listen later on this afternoon.

I quite liked it but I probably won`t rush out and buy a recording - a good deal more enjoyable than most of what my Aunt used to call "the inevitable first performance" though.

Just watching VW Sea Symphony on TV and I see that the idiotic blue lighting on the orchestra, used last year, is back. It makes the players look ill and robs the instruments of their beautiful colour. Most instruments are warm coloured and blue lighting, opposite on the colour wheel, robs them of their colour. I used to be a photographer so I am somewhat sensitive to colour effects but this is unwatchable for me. The trouble is that this is an effect which is out of harmony with the subject. Gawd preserve us from clever clogs directors who think their ideas are more important than the subject they are supposed to be bringing to us.

advertisement

Back