advertisement

Proms 2014

The Taverner / Tallis shown on BBC4 tonight was excellent. Must investigate his work further.

PS I've merged the various Proms 2014 threads.

Enjoyed the Bruch today, an energetic performance. The Mariner/Hurt Walton was an unexpectedly different experience too. Glad to have gone, despite the complete traffic snarl up...

I should add... We had a 2:30pm booking for the Elgar restaurant, but arrived at 3:00pm and popped straight into the Verdi cafe section to see what was what - they sorted us out, and then suggested we take dessert during the interval to save a rush! Fantastic service, and as always great food. 11/10.

Anyone else attending any of this year's Proms?

I took a friend to the Missa Solemnis on Tuesday which was beautifully performed under Gardiner, and took my son to Thursday's event, principally for the Holst, which I thought excellent.

We also had some Schoenberg on Thursday which did less than nothing for me, but a very pleasant surprise was the Scriabin which I knew nothing of prior to this event. It was accompanied by a light show from the 1980's, but worked well enough, and both my son and I were impressed by the scale of the piece.

I`m not attending any Proms but we listen most nights if possible. I also thought the Thursday concert was excellent as was the Mahler 2 last night. Not terribly impressed with the Seoul Symphony Orchestra on Wednesday though.
I am very much looking forward to Salome and Elektra over the weekend.

We also had some Schoenberg on Thursday which did less than nothing for me, but a very pleasant surprise was the Scriabin which I knew nothing of prior to this event. It was accompanied by a light show from the 1980's, but worked well enough, and both my son and I were impressed by the scale of the piece.

Scriabin is one of my favourite composers and have most of his recorded works on vinyl. The symphonic works are easy to explore as there a only a few of them! His masterwork is The Poem of Ecstasy - I can highly recommend Zubin Mehta's Decca recording Sxl 6325. It's a powerful and hypnotic work and a reference recording of mine.

He also wrote many exceptionally fine solo works for piano which are often performed today. Recordings by Ashkenazy and Berman are well worth seeking out.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Splendid Strauss over the weekend, particularly the Elektra last night - makes the proms still worthwhile despite Doctor Who proms and musicals.

advertisement

Back