advertisement

Proms 2012

Just got back from the Cage prom, the last piece Branches? was beautiful with performers placed all around the Hall, lit up at delayed intervals as they joined the preceeding players, cactus sounds emanating from everywhere, plucked, tapped and scraped with precise timings.

mat

gosh - I 'see'... can appreciate Tony L's disgruntlement - would surely have been great 'even' on tv (as opposed to being there).

gosh - I 'see'... can appreciate Tony L's disgruntlement - would surely have been great 'even' on tv (as opposed to being there).

Maybe, but it would be difficult to capture on tv owing to the huge spatial element of the piece. The sounds were very subtle, some barely audible (I was in the circle) it would be very interesting to hear the Radio 3 recording to see how it compares. It was like experiencing a dream-like nocturnal scene in the desert with nature all around you, something you won't forget.

mat

It is certainly getting a lot worse but as I have mentioned before it happened at the first Prom I ever went to, more than forty years ago - only once though after a basilisk stare from Malcolm Sargent turned the offenders to stone.

I couldn't believe it - it was the first time I have ever heard this behaviour watching tonight's Prom on BBC with Marin Alsop. I think it was just before the final movement, people starting clapping just before the the final notes had naturally decayed - you could see her saying something under her breath! She wanted to get on with the next movement immediately and seemed to start it whilst the applause was still going on - what a mess ...

Offenders should be rounded up and flogged in Hyde Park :p

Turangalila on tonight! Starting very soon.

Good timing as I just borrowed a new dac and have it hooked up the sky box.

Nixon in China last night was superb. I heard John Adams do it from the Met earlier this year and expected a great performance but it was even better than I hoped.

Yes I enjoyed Nixon in China last night too. I still cannot get Act 3 though. Was it a late addition to the original piece? Act 3 worked better for me in the long video on Sky Arts 2 a couple of months ago, the stage was full of beds!

I'll listen to it on iPlayer at some point - it's another I'd have very much liked them to televise. A missed opportunity for sure.

Good grief, the stuff on BBC 4 right now is utterly, utterly terrible. I think it's Bernstein's Mass. Possibly the worst music I've ever heard in my life in any genre, in fact it needs a genre of it's own as I'd not wish to taint any other music by filing anything next to it. It's so excruciatingly bad I'm not even sure I want to turn it off... I'd argue it was worth watching on iPlayer just to calibrate your internal musical crap-o-meter. It is truly horrible. Beyond Lloyd-Webber horrible.

advertisement

Back