advertisement

Project for the Winter

MJSM

Over 60 and barely alive
I'm new to this part of the forum so please bear with me .....

I fancy a little project for the winter and decided to have a look into this 'DIY' TT section to see how an 'old' well made transcription deck sounds in comparison to my present set-up (a Linn LP12 dare I say).

Not wanting to waste too much money for an unknown result to begin with, I bought this off Ebay yesterday with the intention of turning it into a Sondek-killing superdeck.

OK, enough of the frivolity, I obviously could have bought a dud for all I know about these things, but can anyone tell me how this might compare with a real classic like a Garrard 301/401 or maybe the Thorens 124 ??

I seriously want to know if this can turn into something good or do I just admit my mistake and wait for the real thing. As the postage is likely to cost me 10 times what I paid for it, I would consider paying for it and inviting the seller to re-sell it if it really is a mistake, so all advice is gratefully received.

Thanks for any replies in advance

Mike
P.S. I may need to know more if it is worth doing up regarding plinths, arms etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Your kidding me right? £24 inc postage it's got to be worth a punt at that!
Seriously, your first point of call should be the VINYL ENGINE , my second favourite forum :)) ). Not that many members and posts can be a bit slow but some very knowledgeable folk there that are into alternative TT's.
They have an good archive section for manuals etc and I do seem to remember a thread on a Dual Idler wheel TT (if that is indeed what you have) a few weeks back.

Paul.

A Dual 1019 is ancient by now. The deck was okay-ish, the arm was barely adequate when the deck was new. It really doesn't stand comparison to a 401 or TD 124, think entry level Pro-ject to LP 12.

It would be a good project to acquire some skills, but in the long run, I'm sure you'll end up with something else.

Do you speak (or read) German at all? If yes, you could go to the forum of the Analaogue Audio Association. A number of members over there are preserving the Dual heritage and could give you many tips and hints.

Originally posted by Paul Dimaline
Your kidding me right? £24 inc postage it's got to be worth a punt at that!
Seriously, your first point of call should be the VINYL ENGINE , my second favourite forum :)) ). Not that many members and posts can be a bit slow but some very knowledgeable folk there that are into alternative TT's.
They have an good archive section for manuals etc and I do seem to remember a thread on a Dual Idler wheel TT (if that is indeed what you have) a few weeks back.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice (nice 401 by the way), I think I will be 'having a go' after all since the deck looks to be pretty well over-engineered in the first place (a 20lb Aluminium platter !!!). Did you have a look at the links in the Ebay post ??

Postage will be a bit more than 13 quid to Singapore though (he-he), I'm working out there at the moment and want something to while away the dark evenings with, but I think it's still worth it.

I can't see at the moment what it is that contributes the most to the end result as all of these transcription decks appear to be made in a similar manner (i.e. pressed or cast steel, mechanical linkages, idler wheel etc) so I reckon some experimentation is in the pipeline. It will be very interesting to compare with the LP12 at the very least.

I'd appreciate some guidance on the arm front too, as I imagine that it will need to have a replacement as a minimum with something more suited to todays modern cartridges (SME, Linn, Rega ???). And, should I consider mounting the arm off the existing metalwork for best effect, or just find a way to mount it within the existing deck ?? (as I said, I'm a real beginner here).

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and the encouragement

Mike
:)

Paul,

Not sure if you have seen this, I found it when I was searching for info on the Dual - fascinating read.

Enjoy
Mike

:D

Originally posted by Markus Sauer
A Dual 1019 is ancient by now. The deck was okay-ish, the arm was barely adequate when the deck was new. It really doesn't stand comparison to a 401 or TD 124, think entry level Pro-ject to LP 12.

It would be a good project to acquire some skills, but in the long run, I'm sure you'll end up with something else.

Do you speak (or read) German at all? If yes, you could go to the forum of the Analaogue Audio Association. A number of members over there are preserving the Dual heritage and could give you many tips and hints.

Thanks Markus, I don't speak or read German unfortunately, but luckily for me I think the manual comes with the deck (in English I hope) - sorry, most of us Brits are terrible when it comes to foregn languages :(

Thanks too for the link to Analogue Audio Association, I will have a look. I reckon the 1019 will be worth a try for a first time project though, who knows, I might have beginners luck ;)

Mike

I bought this off Ebay yesterday

Oh, so it was you who outbid me was it?!!!
I wanted the motor for my poor 1019 that has been languishing in the loft for about 2 years............:(

Adam.
;)

…but it may well have been ‘good enough for Elvis’ – I remember spotting an ancient and very similar looking Dual on a TV doc about Graceland a few years ago!

Tony.

Originally posted by Beobloke
Oh, so it was you who outbid me was it?!!!
I wanted the motor for my poor 1019 that has been languishing in the loft for about 2 years............:(

Adam.
;)

Hi Adam, I've just bought a Lenco too, so to be honest, if you want it I am prepared to sell it to you for what I paid for it (+postage to you place obviously).

Let me know as soon as you can, it will save me a lot of money on shipping.

Send me a PM if you like.

Cheers
Mike

advertisement

Back