Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Project: Cambridge R50 4-way transmisson lines/New old stock Kef T27, boxed.

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by VanDerGraaf, Sep 13, 2022.

1. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

The hifi decimation continues!

I have had this pair of R50 for a while, hoping to do a restore job on them. My house competion has dragged on and on and sadly I have to let them go.

These are an earlier pair with the oval B129, speakers A/B matched. One T27 is not working (they use the earlier type). I haven't even investigated the cause due to them being in storage. All other drivers working (I can hear the supertweeters).

The cabinets are pretty good, some marks and scratches but I think they will polish up very well.
    A piece of veneer has come away from the right hand side front edging next to the baffle on one. That's the big offender.
    Grilles intact and in good condition.

As part of my planned restoration I had gotten hold of a new old stock boxed, immaculate and unused Kef T27 Constructor Series tweeters. Drop-in replacement for the other version in my R50s. You will not find these very often, if at all.

I would be willing to let them go as a package for £350.

That's a lot of speaker for the money. If you've ever seen a cutaway of an R50, well it would cost a fortune to make today commercially.

I suspect I could get more than half of that on Evilbay for the tweeters alone. Bargain for someone! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T27s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jandl100, herb and Mike P like this.
  2. herb

herb brain's right hemisphere

Look good with trademark grilles. I loved mine back in the '70s, a sort of LS3/5a sound with big bass which showed 401 rumble very well unfortunately. I am surprised that they are 25w RMS but that was normal back then I suppose. GLWS.

3. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

There are upgraded crossovers available which bring capacity to about 50-60w....I have a pair of those too but can't find them at the moment!

4. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Might be an optical illusion but the bass units look round in photos. The wrecked pair I had definitely had oval B139's

Collection from where please?

5. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

They're definitely oval, it's the angle of the photo.

I'm Glasgow-ish, certainly don't mind an hour's trundle south down the M74 to a rendezvous point.

I know my location is a PITA for many so the above goes without saying!

6. canonman

canonman pfm Member

OK, I am about 500 miles South, sorry! GLWTS

VanDerGraaf likes this.
  7. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

No worries- living in the hifi wastelands up here!

8. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

Bump for these and also to say that I have located the uprated crossovers- built by Wilmslow Audio and a lot more substantial than the standard units. There's a bit of chat about R50s right now on the forum, much of it very favourable!

I am on holiday at the moment so no crossover pictures, will post when I get back.

9. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

10. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

[​IMG]

Bump. One of the (crap) speaker terminals has been disconnected. They should both be replaced anyway by modern ones so you can actually connect something!

11. VanDerGraaf

VanDerGraaf pfm Member

Crossovers sold. NOS T27 set sold.

The axe is hovering over these old-time behemoths. Somebody save them please!