advertisement

Problems with wind up mechanical watches

I have had just the one watch, a Tissot, for over fifty years now - a former colleague once remarked that it was entirely appropriate that I was the only person he knew with a wind up watch.

A carry on trying to keep all wound and running each day. I was the same. Could also never decide which one to wear on any day. At one point I was going to sell them all bar the favourite. You can only wear one. Couldn't decide on the favourite though.
So I put them in rotation. One week wear for each in order. One manual wind , 3 autos and a quartz. Got another manual too. A 1954 gold rectangular Audax. My grandads long service watch with the Scottish Insulation Company. Its far too small though. Really a womens watch now. Thinking of giving to my sister.
Anyhow ,
the manual ( Speedmaster ) is fine. Around 30 winds first thing each morning. The autos also get a few manual winds each morning as I dont wear in bed. Around 15 winds. Works fine. The watches also get a rest and wont mechanically wear out so quick. I have been told some watches are best running all the time hence these watch winder machines. Maybe something to do with lubrication pooling / congealing? Dont know if this is correct.
Never had a problem so far though with rotation.

Maybe if they are all so old the mainsprings are weak and tired? But of course the watchmaker should have seen that.

I wonder if the mainsprings are all shot? I'd maybe get in touch with another watchmaker and have them examine one. You'll have to pay an examination fee but at least you'll know one way or the other.

It might sound like a good idea to replace the wind-up watches with battery powered.
Don't !
I love my Tissot, but a battery lasts only one year, and costs £50+ to replace.
I've also tried self-winding but they seem with me to be horribly inaccurate.
Best watch I had, many years ago, was a citizen solar power - deadly accurate and no maintenance needed..

advertisement

Back