advertisement

Problems with Arcam A5 - drawer opening gear broken to pieces

yairf

Trade: Teddy Pardo Audio
Hi all
As the title implies, the plastic gear wheel that opens the drawer in my A5 has broke down. Any ideas where can I find a new one? is it similar gear to PC CD-Rom or any other CD player?
Thanks, Yair

[edit - found this thread in DIYAudio, thanks for the feedbacks!]

Try Les at Avondale, he maybe able to help, if not you'll struggle to find one of these.
Spares for the old philips mechanisms are becoming harder to find, shame really:(

Ron

Yair, is this our A5..?? If so, we fitted a new gear before it was despatched so it should not have failed. Having said, I'm coming round to the suspicion that Arcam have had a faulty batch as so many have failed prematurely. There isn't enough power in the drawer opening motor to strip the teeth so that's the only conclusion I can reach. I'll contact Arcam and post any reply here.

Originally posted by LesW
Yair, is this our A5..??
Hi Les - Yes it is...

If so, we fitted a new gear before it was despatched so it should not have failed. Having said, I'm coming round to the suspicion that Arcam have had a faulty batch as so many have failed prematurely.
Makes sense, but why stick with Arcam - this seems a perfectly normal CDM9 gear, just like this one
There isn't enough power in the drawer opening motor to strip the teeth so that's the only conclusion I can reach. I'll contact Arcam and post any reply here.
What do you think of this solution? seems like a nice work around...
Thanks, Yair

Today, I called Arcam technical support and asked about the TPH gears shedding teeth. The chap I spoke to said he had no knowledge of any problems with these gears but to his credit and that of Arcam, immediately offered a quantity of replacement gears free of charge. I'll get one in the post to you Yair, in the next few days.

Originally posted by LesW
I'll get one in the post to you Yair, in the next few days.
Hi Les
Thanks very much!
Any tips on installing it? do I need to prepare some silicone grease?
Yair.

...and everything is back to normal.
I have taken some pictures for this operation (took an hour and a half :D ). See them here
Cheers, Yair

advertisement

Back