advertisement

Proac

woodpecker

pfm Member
The Proac Tablette 10 Signature loudspeakers are a speaker released for sale 25+ years after the Proac Response 1sc were brought out by Proac.
Do things move on and so you would expect the Tablette speakers to now better the 1sc speakers?
I have my doubts but I am not knowledgeable enough to know really.

Aural memory being what it is, I can’t really say. I’ve had and enjoyed both. They’re different. One is larger and ported. I would imagine this makes quite a difference to the sound…

I think the DB3 (and maybe DB1) is the spiritual successor to the 1SC. Quite different sounding speakers, the T10 is very detailed, but much lighter on bass, more suited to near field.

I thought the 1SC was in a range or on a level higher than the Tablettes and if so, one would expect it to be better. Not sure, but I thought it was the first in the Response range but didn't carry that R sig. The R2 stand-mount was superb and the R2.5 equally so. Small boxes, big sound.

Something to consider. The Response 1sc was sold along side the Tablette 50 Signature at about $100 difference in price back in the early/mid 90's. They are both exceptional speakers but quite different.

Different speakers and aren't in competition with each other.

Having owned The 1SC and now own The Tablette 10 the above quote sums it up, however both models share do some traits of being extremely musical, sounding bigger and more dynamic than they have any right to given their size. :)

Last edited:
I have never heard another set of ProAcs that were as good as the Response 1sc’s.

I’m not a fan of their current stock tweeter as it’s far too shrill.
The Responses were the last of the ProAc line with that amazing 18mm tweeter and for the life of me I can’t work out why that tweeter line was discontinued? (Seas, I think?)
I’ve owned the Tablettes and the DB1’s with the current ProAc domed tweeter and it just wore my hearing out after extended listening sessions. That just never happened with the 1sc’s. Or the Spendor S3/5 se’s, that also used that tweeter of old….

I have never heard another set of ProAcs that were as good as the Response 1sc’s.

I’m not a fan of their current stock tweeter as it’s far too shrill.
The Responses were the last of the ProAc line with that amazing 18mm tweeter and for the life of me I can’t work out why that tweeter line was discontinued? (Seas, I think?)
I’ve owned the Tablettes and the DB1’s with the current ProAc tweeter and it just wears my hearing out after extended listening sessions. That just never happened with the 1sc’s. Or the Spendor S3/5 se’s, that also used that tweeter of old….
hi joe joe , would that be their ribbon tweeters or dome ?

…sorry, their dome. The one in the current Tablette 10’s. It has the 5 screws on the periphery……work of the devil…..lol!

Domed- ribbons have not made it to baby ProAcs yet....

@JoeJoe It all depends what the tweeter is being fed with regard to being shrill, l have tried the Tablette 10 with various amplifiers CD players and T/Ts and in my own room/system they are super smooth- bit rolled off if anything.

That said we all hear things differently and that tweeter in the 1SC was very smooth and refined, a brilliant small speaker.

:)

I’ve never heard a pair of ProAcs with a ribbon tweeter, I’d like to though!
I absolutely concede these things are subjective. What is odd, though, is how many audiophiles agree on the 1sc’s. Seems to be a rare unifying beast in the diverse world of Speakers.

Something to consider. The Response 1sc was sold along side the Tablette 50 Signature at about $100 difference in price back in the early/mid 90's. They are both exceptional speakers but quite different.

How so- not heard the 50 Signature.:)

Totally different speakers for totally different roles IMO. The 1SC is a ported stand-mount that needs a lot of space around it. When partnered with the right kit upstream (ideally nice valve kit) it can be capable of stunning results. The Tablette 10 is a very unusual speaker for ProAc and I suspect was an off-shoot from Stewart Tyler’s experiments with the LS3/5A format under the Celef brand around the same time. I get the impression it is the same drivers in a cost-cut (non-BBC) cabinet. As such it will have limits in volume and be happier nearer to a wall than the 1SC.

PS For clarity I know the 1SC well but have never heard the Tab 10. I have owned Tab50 Sigs and Ref 8 Sigs. I like small ProAc speakers despite them breaking my ‘no ports’ rule! They are great little speakers.

In our dining room we use a TabTen, bought two years ago.
The best solution since 1991 (moving into our house)
Position near the corner(s) isn´t that good. Nevertheless the best pair of speakers
to bring sound into our dining room.
Since 1991 we have checked the following speakers in our dining room:
1. Celestion 3, all in all satisfying (bought in the late 80s)
2. Harbeth HL P3-ES2, doesn´t "like" narrow position to the wall / corner.
3. ProAc Response 1SC bought in 2008, bass reflex port on the rear side: not a good idea. The Resp. 1 SC needs some distance to the wall (mounted on stands 12 - 15 inch seem to be enough)
4. ProAC Tablette Ref. 8 Signature, very good in my bureau. Possible with foam plug inside the BR ports

Best solution in our dining room: ProAC TabTen. The closed design of TabTen seems to be best when near wall position is necessary.

In my opinion ProAc Resp. 1 SC is one of the best designs which ProAC released during the last 20 years.

PS: In May 2020 the D2R arrived after a long time of waiting. Amplifier Naim Supernait 3.
In the end I was very disappointed because the 1SC performed much better than the D2R (in my ears). In autumn 2020 I sold the D2R to a Swissman.

I've just unearthed some ProAc brochures from the mid 90s when ProAc were in Borehamwood, just behind Michell, who made stuff for them. The nearly 1 grand Response 1S got stunning reviews (HiFi Choice, World) but I don't know when the C affix came in or what changes it signified. Hard to see how the R1S could be improved, judging from what I've read. I've heard these or the C at shows.

I think the C denoted the copper phase plug

I have DB3s here currently and they really are very good indeed, either on end of an Onix OA21 or Sugden.

I've only heard the 1SCs once at a bake off, and it was clear to everyone there I think that they were very special.

It was possible to upgrade from the Response 1s to the SC at the time. A kit was available with the new copper phase plug drivers and some crossover components. An excellent speaker.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back