1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Proac standmounts

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Nov 26, 2019.

1. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

Am considering trying some standmount Proacs after trying Studio 130s which were just too big for my room and caused bass issue. Anyone have any Response D2 or would consider others. Can anyone using rear ported Proac standmounts share info regarding positioning as in distance from front wall?

If you have any to sell please PM me with details

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Any rear ported speaker (but I had ProAcs) needs to be in free space, both to the side and rear. I only know the original Response models, which can still be found. The R2s were lovely, but the R2.5s were diminutive floor-standers and quite superb for their size. Tablettes, 1SCs and the like are, i.m.o., a compromise in comparison, though still good. I had 3s, 3.5s and 4s (plus Tablette for a short while).

3. MotherSky

MotherSky Member

Ahem - I would suggest that all loudspeaker designs are fundamentally a compromise - I personally find the particular qualities present in the 1SCs, when combined with the right amplification, put them well ahead of the 2.5s - at least in my system/room - physics dictates a curtailed bass output (careful use of a decent quality subwoofer addresses this), but the payoff is pinpoint imaging and an incredible soundstage - they do need 16-18" behind them though, and definitely well away from side walls - I have not auditioned any of the current range, so possibly my input is a bit dated (as am I...) MH

4. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

I knew I was chancing it with the 130s but they did sound very much to my taste on music that wasn't bass heavy, as you point outroom size and shape dictate what you can do. I did manage to get them out about 2' from front wall and 3' from sides so I am hoping that a smaller enclosure will work, ported or not. Thanks for the input which is probably about my date lol

5. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

I like ProAc speakers very much but does it have to be ProAc? If not, grab the Neat SX3’s in the classifieds.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

For imaging, I'd probably agree (though beefier amplification helps here with the 1SC)

Don't you mean BACK wall? Front walls are where you sit (and preferably with a space behind).

7. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

I always get confused about the wall description lol, different people say front is where the speakers are and some say where the listener is.
    I mean where the speakers are obviously. I have a Naim 202/200/HiCap amp setup which is 80watts to 8ohms, never felt short of power, drives my ATC 11s well.
    I am gonna keep the ATCs till I am well sure whatever I replace them with is better at low levels, or maybe just keep them all lol.

8. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

Proac Tablette 10’s are a sealed box so can go against the wall. They have almost no bass so may work brilliantly in your room.

9. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

So, nobody selling ??

10. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

Tried asking on gumtree and got 2 scammers within an hour, using fake photos from ebay and of course miles away from me so collection wasn't practical, robbing barstewards!

11. Ruairi

Ruairi pfm Member

There is response D1 on ebay for 995. D2 on the same site for a bit more. Both prices are a bit high to be fair but if you're not in a rush either of those speaker will come up again on here

12. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

Yep good point, I did spot those on ebay but I will wait for something more sensibly priced. Proacs (standmounts in particular) seem to hold their value well.

13. fixit

fixit pfm Member

A vote for 1sc if you have a small (ish) room and can leave a little breathing space behind them. I have mine in front of a concrete wall about 20inch away and they go really low with no booming whatsoever and sound really open and give a great stage and insight to the event played. I have been trying to add a 10" sub to complement the sc1 but found out it brings very little if anything to the lows. I do use a tube amp and can optimize the setup to suit the character of the speaker but still it shows that the sc1 is very capable speaker and don't necessarily need a sub. I think there is atlest one pair if not more for sale at the 'bay if interested.

Tarzan likes this.
  14. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

For their size they have bass!

In my room/system anyway.:)

matt j likes this.
  15. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Had a pair of these years ago and the bass was superb!