1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Proac Speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

After having narrowly missed out on a pair of Studio 125s the other week I’m on the lookout for some Proacs.

Would consider smaller floorstanders. Such as:

Studio 125
    Studio 130 or 140
    Response 1.5
    Response D15
    Response D18
    Response 2.5
    Response D25

Would also consider some standmounts such as:

Tablette 50
    Tablette 50 sig
    Tablette anniversary
    Tablette 2000
    Response 2
    Response 2S
    Studio 100
    Studio 110

Or similar

Would also consider the CC one centre speaker but I’m going to need two of them. I guess it’s highly unlikely I’d find two at the same time, but putting it out there anyway!

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Having had 3 x ProAc Response speakers (3s, 3.5s and 4s), I'd strongly suggest that you put the 2.5s at the top of your list. If you can accommodate the 3.5s, you'll never want another speaker. Mine were lovely, and in many ways better than the 4s, both of which I had for a number of years. My friend bought a pair to go on the end of higher Naim kit 15 years ago and still can't wean himself off them. Warmish side of neutral, dynamic, small footprint and excellent imaging.

3. ERICLIMPIT

ERICLIMPIT pfm Member

Just sold my old pair of Studio 100 last week on eBay, if you're going for Proac standmounts the Studio 100 is their best ever & by some distance imho

4. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks Mike. Yes indeed the 2.5 is up high on my list. I had a pair in the past and loved them. Had to sell them due to finance issues at the time. Very musical and smooth with very good, textured and deep bass.
    I also had some studio 125s before which sounded a little similar but not as good or as big sounding as the 2.5s.

The 3.5 is a bit too heavy and big for my small room!

I had a friend a decade or so ago that swore by the Studio 100s, so they must be v good. Would love to hear them.

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Superhero of Sound

My first ever "serious" speakers were ProAc Studio 125's. I went into Leicester Hifi (now defunct) to audition some Quad something or other and the guy let me hear them and then said "just listen to these too". Different league. They begat Studio 140's (fab bass but less midrange magic) then ProAc D30R then D30RS. I flipped to some pretty awesome ATC SCM40A actives but still miss that ProAc magic at times.

I live in Leicestershire and have an apartment in my home town of Kendal where I have two hifi systems. The second system is a mix of desirable stuff and some odds and sods. Included in "desirable stuff" is an absoultely mint pair of boxed 125's in burr walnut (I think - burr something) which I bought last year as a bit of a nostalgia trip - and have not been disappointed.

Will PM.

6. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Just to update. I didn’t go for the Studio 125s as posted above (thanks for offering them Nigel), so am still looking for a pair of Proacs.

7. MrMac

MrMac Active Member

Good luck with your search,I love Proacs.
    5.2 system Future Point 5 fronts,Studio 150 rears.
    Two channel D48r
    I have mint pair of Hexa surplus.
    Regards Malcolm.

8. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Sounds like you have a great system. I’ve never heard a pair of Proacs with ribbon tweeter. They must sound great. I’ll pm you about the Hexas. They would come in handy as surround back speakers. Cheers Colin.

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

10. MrMac

MrMac Active Member

That's what I used them for before using the 150 floorstanders for rears.

Magical results with Anthem MRX710,you're welcome to have a listen.

Regards Malcolm

11. MrMac

MrMac Active Member

Ps,the D48r has to be experienced.
    Regards Malcolm.

12. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the tip but those D28s are out of my price range. I’m ideally looking for a pair of Response 2,5s, if only I could find a pair.

13. cnocmoy10

cnocmoy10 pfm Member

What is your price range?
    Regards,
    Cnocmoy10

14. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Price range is about £250 (which is around the cheapest I’ve seen a pair of tattier 125s go for), to about £700 ish (which would be my upper limit for a good pair of Response 2.5s.- I’ve seen tattier examples go for less). I’ve seen all the speakers listed go for well between this price range. The only exception is the D25 which I’d consider up to about £950 ish.