advertisement

ProAc Response 2.5 vs later ProAc

halvis

pfm Member
I recently auditioned a pair of ProAc Response D2's and was very impressed with the clarity and involvement when powered by the Naim Nait amps.

When selling some of my other gear recently the buyer said he knew someone with a pair of Response 2.5s for sale and would I be interested? I said of course and he brought them over last weekend.

Unfortunately, after installing them into the system we discovered the bass driver was banjaxed on one of the speakers. So I am waiting to see if ProAc can provide me with a replacement.

Question is though, is the old 2.5 which seems to have had some great following years ago and was copied in the DIY world many times, still up to much today?

After hearing literally only the one I have, I would say so far that it doesn't have the absolute sheer clarity that the D2's had. Although it does retain good speed and has nice bass response about a metre out from the rear wall. The D2's had amazing imaging as well so I am hoping that is still strong in the 2.5 if I decide to keep them.

PS - I haven't paid for these 2.5s yet.

The R2.5 was excellent for its diminutive size (the first of the floor-standers in that range) but its slightly bigger peers were really a cut above, if you can find them. The 3 was good but the 3.5 probably the best in the range. (I had R3, R3.5 and R4) No idea about their successors except that the ports fired down (useful)

I must have auditioned about 15 different speakers before settling on the d2's. I can't see myself changing them unless I move to a bigger place or my numbers come up, and even then I'd keep them.

Thanks all!

The room is about 3.5m x 9m with tall ceilings. So quite large, but I listen within 2.5 - 3 metres.

I have had ATC SCM 20s in this room before and they sounded small, but the bass out of those was pretty pathetic. The D2s were obviously a lot fuller sounding so I might get away with the D2s.

Obviously the 2.5's are far cheaper than the new D2s though, so that's a consideration also..... I might need to listen to the D2s again to make sure.

D2s are faster than 2.5s, but the 2.5s had a deeper reach (IIRC) and a lushness/beauty that I've not heard from other speakers. Never got on with the 3.5s, in marked contrast to @Mike Reed above. In the same room, same system, the 2.5s consistently played music better than the 3.5s. Go figure!

Go figure!

Go figure indeed! My R3 (John Michell's) were followed by the superior R3.5s. My (then) top Naim friend liked my R3.5s so much when I leant them to him that he got rid of his Briks and bought a pair. His is a very small room, maybe 3.5 into alcoves and 4.5 m wide. I followed with the behemoth R4s (133 kg each), but was never quite sure if I'd done the right thing. We both heard the R2.5s in Billy Vee's in sth. London and were impressed, but only because of their size.

I must have auditioned about 15 different speakers before settling on the d2's. I can't see myself changing them unless I move to a bigger place or my numbers come up, and even then I'd keep them.
Yep, the D2 are that good !

Hi @Gza , can I ask what sort of room size you are using them in? Mine is quite large 3.5m x 9m with ~5m ceilings, however will be listening quite close, with 2-3 metres. However, I could consider other rooms that are much smaller for this, as I see me being shuffled around the house anyway ;-) I have a room about 3.5 x 5.5m which would probably be perfect.

Hi @Gza , can I ask what sort of room size you are using them in? Mine is quite large 3.5m x 9m with ~5m ceilings, however will be listening quite close, with 2-3 metres. However, I could consider other rooms that are much smaller for this, as I see me being shuffled around the house anyway ;-) I have a room about 3.5 x 5.5m which would probably be perfect.

yeh, I have them in the living room, size is 4 x 4 m. You could have them in a larger room no problem.

thanks for that, I thought they could take a biggish room when I heard them, quite a bit of bass for a stand mount. Thanks again.

advertisement

Back