advertisement

ProAc D20R or Audio Physic Tempo Plus

Mullard22

If you heard these speakers I would appreciate your thoughts. I recently heard the Tempos and walked away liking them. I plan on hearing the ProAcs but need to take a long drive to the nearest dealer.

They are both top performers.

It is impossible for another party to ascert any guidance blindly .

You won't go wrong with either, but choosing one over the other is entirely dependent on its bespoke synergy (or lack of it) with the rest of your system , I.e all of
- source,
- electronics,
- cables (ICs, speakers, power) and
- the the wild card being your actual listening arena, with all of its warts and limitations

Without an actual personal audition yourself, you are looking at highly biased personal value judgements pushing their faves without reference to the influencing factors above.

so i heard the d20r recently and some dt8 . beautifully made , i recently had a few months with some amazingly good proac 125 and sad to see them go. the d20r have a beautiful transparent top end and are well worth a listen . you are highly advised to take that long drive to hear them . its worth it . they hold their value well and a huge love for proac in the hi fi world

so i heard the d20r recently and some dt8 . beautifully made , i recently had a few months with some amazingly good proac 125 and sad to see them go. the d20r have a beautiful transparent top end and are well worth a listen . you are highly advised to take that long drive to hear them . its worth it . they hold their value well and a huge love for proac in the hi fi world
how do you find the Dt8 or D20R compares to SHL5plus?

I do plan on listening to the d20r's. I can't seem to demo the 30's, as no dealer seems to have a pair.

When I listened the Tempos I also heard the next model up, the Avanti. With the Avanti I heard a better speaker in regards to tighter bass and a more refine top end. The midrange had more detail. But I found the overall presentation of the music easier to enjoy through the Tempos. They didn't seem to share a similar tonal balance. I will take another listen to the Avanti's, next time with tubes.

As for the Proac's, the dealers nearby only cary the D48R's, which are too large for my listening room. I need to travel some distance to hear the smaller models. Mr Tyler replied to my email stating the tonal balance of the speakers are similar, the differences being dynamics and frequency extremes.

The other speaker I would like to hear is the Spendor D7. I listened to the Harbeth M30.2's but they were not my cup of tea.

"how do you find the Dt8 or D20R compares to SHL5plus?"

mmm now thats a question . after hearing the proacs i decided they were not for me . 1] if i got the d20r i would be hankering after the d30r which i could not afford them and 2] i was not quite convinced about the bass . proacs as you know can be pretty bassy and my 125 took a lot of taming but once i did then they were great . i heard the harbs shl5plus after hearing a great deal of speakers but could not do a home demo . now when they arrived [ the day after listening to a magico a3!!] i put them in the lounge and they were a bit close to a wall and they did not sound so good . i have learnt from some that they need 400 hours running in. i have been fiddling around positioning all week in a live loft room which is big and they sound unbelievably different

i can`t believe 2 rooms can make so much difference to a speaker , in one they are too dull and the other thay are just an incy bit forward !!! but they sound lovely on piano and classical and rock . i have actually agreed to part ex them and if anyone interested i can give them a link . they were brand new in feb so not run in yet so that caveat has to be applied to my comments .

I do plan on listening to the d20r's. I can't seem to demo the 30's, as no dealer seems to have a pair.

When I listened the Tempos I also heard the next model up, the Avanti. With the Avanti I heard a better speaker in regards to tighter bass and a more refine top end. The midrange had more detail. But I found the overall presentation of the music easier to enjoy through the Tempos. They didn't seem to share a similar tonal balance. I will take another listen to the Avanti's, next time with tubes.

As for the Proac's, the dealers nearby only cary the D48R's, which are too large for my listening room. I need to travel some distance to hear the smaller models. Mr Tyler replied to my email stating the tonal balance of the speakers are similar, the differences being dynamics and frequency extremes.

The other speaker I would like to hear is the Spendor D7. I listened to the Harbeth M30.2's but they were not my cup of tea.

yes the d48r big , have you tried the audioconsultants ? they have had a ex demo pair listed of d20r and d30r for months and i am sure they would let you hear some

http://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/special-offers.html

as for the d7 thats worth a listen as is the a7 which sounded just delightful at the bristol show , almost better than the d9 i though

yes the d48r big , have you tried the audioconsultants ? they have had a ex demo pair listed of d20r and d30r for months and i am sure they would let you hear some

http://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/special-offers.html

as for the d7 thats worth a listen as is the a7 which sounded just delightful at the bristol show , almost better than the d9 i though

I’m
"how do you find the Dt8 or D20R compares to SHL5plus?"

mmm now thats a question . after hearing the proacs i decided they were not for me . 1] if i got the d20r i would be hankering after the d30r which i could not afford them and 2] i was not quite convinced about the bass . proacs as you know can be pretty bassy and my 125 took a lot of taming but once i did then they were great . i heard the harbs shl5plus after hearing a great deal of speakers but could not do a home demo . now when they arrived [ the day after listening to a magico a3!!] i put them in the lounge and they were a bit close to a wall and they did not sound so good . i have learnt from some that they need 400 hours running in. i have been fiddling around positioning all week in a live loft room which is big and they sound unbelievably different

i can`t believe 2 rooms can make so much difference to a speaker , in one they are too dull and the other thay are just an incy bit forward !!! but they sound lovely on piano and classical and rock . i have actually agreed to part ex them and if anyone interested i can give them a link . they were brand new in feb so not run in yet so that caveat has to be applied to my comments .

I listened the Harbeth M30.2's twice. Two different rooms and equipment. The 1st time I thought they were on the thin side. This was at a hifi show in NYC. At the local dealer they sounded boomy and on the boring side. They were very coherent, but lacked excitement. As if I heard two different speakers.

I am in New York, so audio consultants would be a hike for me.

In that case unless you jump on a plane to Manchester there is no point in me inviting you round to listen to my D20R's which I have had for about 18 months now & just seem to get better & better. The only guidance I can give you is if you have heard some D18's then the D20R's are just better in every area, particularly the bass in open space which was a bit lightweight on the D18's. The treble from the D20R's ribbon tweeters is just so much more delicate/refined than the D18's which I thought had a fantastic sparkle but once run in (about 6 months) the ribbons are definitely a step up.

Proac are British.

FFS why would you buy a German loudspeaker?

I’m

I listened the Harbeth M30.2's twice. Two different rooms and equipment. The 1st time I thought they were on the thin side. This was at a hifi show in NYC. At the local dealer they sounded boomy and on the boring side. They were very coherent, but lacked excitement. As if I heard two different speakers.

so zoe mardle [mr tylers daughter i think] said

If you contact the Sound organisation in USA their contact details are on the ProAc website they will be able to guide you to who they have in NY.

advertisement

Back