advertisement

ProAc D18 vs D20R

Paulq2

pfm Member
I am planning to push the button (after demos) on one of these models. I'd initially set my mind on the D20R with the ribbon tweeter but the more I read the more there appears to be a view that the D18 is not that far away from the D20 and, in fact, is a pretty special speaker in its own right.

Just after some views on the above from anyone who has heard and/or owned both.

Thank you!

Got the earlier D15 with the Scanspeak tweeter in a second system, in the smaller room they are very enjoyable, i have listened to the ProAc Reference series versions with the ribbon, dynamic but a bit hard edged, thought the D40 sounded a bit more rounded and natural with the normal dome compared back to back.

I had D18s for about 5 years & replaced them with D20Rs a few years ago. The ribbon tweeter takes some time to reach its peak but has a delicacy which put it ahead of the D18. The bass on the D20R is also more prominent then the D18. My choice would be the D20R which has something special which the D18 lacked.
Important to keep the speakers a decent distance from walls to avoid a booming bass. I initially intended to keep the D18s in a smaller room but they did not suit the corners. Only my opinion, but I would think the D18 would be the cheaper of the two models. Other people's experience may be different from mine so suggest you demo them with your own equipment if possible.

advertisement

Back