advertisement

Proac D18/D20, PMC GB/FB/24/25, Spendor A4/A7, or Neats?

one thing for sure there is MASSIVE love by owners for their proacs !!![/QUOTE]

As Phil says, I have lived with Response 2.5 for the best part of 25 years. I have replaced all four drivers (from Proac) this is essential as they are not standard.

I really can't see me replacing them, every upgrade to the system over the years shines through.

I have lived with Response 2.5 for the best part of 25 years. I have replaced all four drivers....

That sounds very reassuring.
But why did you have to change (all!) drivers?
Did they completely fail or how did you notice wear? What signs do I need to look for s/h?

Think it‘s settled, I need to get Proac. Not to many around down here in southern Germany, but sooner or later something will come up!

Glad you clarified your earlier comment about not being impressed by the D20R. I have had mine for over 4 years now & am very pleased. They are significantly better than the D18 which I had owned previously for 5 years, with more bass & the ribbon tweeter has a very delicate sound. They took a long while to reach their best but I have a number of systems, so they do not get full-time use. The hardware driving the D20s is all Arcam with P1 power amps, so presumably similar to your D30 demo.

That id a very interesting comment about the Ribbon tweeters needing time to "break in" if that is the correct term.
I love the tweeter on the D18'S, would love to hear a ribbon working at its full potential.

+1 for the ProAc D20R. They just seem to keep getting better and better. Had them a couple of years now and can't imaging swapping them for anything else (unless a nice second hand pair of D30R's come up for sale...).

That sounds very reassuring.
But why did you have to change (all!) drivers?
Did they completely fail or how did you notice wear? What signs do I need to look for s/h?

Think it‘s settled, I need to get Proac. Not to many around down here in southern Germany, but sooner or later something will come up!

Hi Topa, The tweeters are ferrofluid and it can thicken up and make for either a rolled off sound or a splashy one mine was quite splashy. Both mid/bass went open circuit within a couple of weeks of each other, Proac said this was most unusual. It was in both the case of tweeters and mid/bass well after 20years and the fact Proac were able to support these after so long was excellent. If you ever find your self or anyone in this position ALWAYS buy from Proac, they may seem like standard Scan Speak drivers but are not they are made to Proac specs and are quite different. I found out when I tried standard tweeters, killed the sound. Maybe that's why there are so many clones for sale.
Good luck in your quest.

advertisement

Back