advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

MQA streams stutter on starting with the S2D. I've tried exactly the same with a Meridian Explorer2 which does not have the problem.

As mentioned before, this MQA bug is only evident when the S2 DAC does full MQA decode.

But this problem completely vanishes if you can have the 1st unfold done by software (MQB mode on the DAC... I hope the mention of MQB doesn't confuse everyone here...).

The link to the Xcore/Xmos bug I shared is a separate issue altogether affecting many Xmos USB DACs. It depends which software you use, as to whether you experience the issue. Roon's CTO explains in that link.

Reactions: MAG
Strangely I only see mention of Linux kernel v3.x still here:

https://github.com/sparkysbc/Linux

Hmmm.

How do you know @andykchapman that your Sparky board is running kernel 4.14.71?

Not that I doubt you, just double checking. The Volumio changelog doesn't mention that for Sparky (unless I missed it at the link you shared).

I only see kernel bumps mentioned for the Pi (and other supported devices)...

@left channel 2.99 Euros for one device, 6.99 Euros for up to six devices. The free version does not include Tidal.

Thanks. Not bad if you use many of the premium features, and all that work must be supported somehow. I notice they also support Qobuz now. I'm sure some will say the Tidal and Qobuz support should be free as on LMS/Squeezebox, but let's not forget the bulk of the work on LMS is done by an engineer still retained by Logitech.

Strangely I only see mention of Linux kernel v3.x still here:

https://github.com/sparkysbc/Linux
I've had a look at the above link. Am I right in understanding that the last update was a year ago?

On the volumio download page (https://volumio.org/get-started/), all hardware types are now able to have version 2.513. This change for Sparky and others (except Pi) was implemented about the end of November 2018. Immediately before then, only Pi had 2.513 available and for others 2.413 was the best.

However, it's worth noting that the changelog did not update when 2.513 was released beyond the Pi only. I hope there is only one version 2.513 that is being used for all the various processor boards!
How do you know @andykchapman that your Sparky board is running kernel 4.14.71?

Not that I doubt you, just double checking. The Volumio changelog doesn't mention that for Sparky (unless I missed it at the link you shared).

I only see kernel bumps mentioned for the Pi (and other supported devices)...
From the changelog (https://volumio.org/get-started/), I believe my Sparky has kernel 4.14.71; however, I don't actually know as I don't know how to interrogate the downloaded software version.

I hope that's clear; I confess I'm a bit out of my depth here.

I've had a look at the above link. Am I right in understanding that the last update was a year ago?

Yup, Linux kernel v3.x. If it were updated to v4.x, that's where it would be mentioned

From the changelog (https://volumio.org/get-started/), I believe my Sparky has kernel 4.14.71; however, I don't actually know as I don't know how to interrogate the downloaded software version.

Ah I see. Unfortunately, there's no mention of a Sparky kernel bump in the changelog and no mention at the Sparky kernel github page so it doesn't look like Sparky is running kernel 4.x

It's clear that the Volumio version number for Sparky now matches the Pi and others, so that's good news.

Allo time to time recompile the snd-usb-audio.ko modules (which contain the correct codes to enable DACs). See https://github.com/sparky-sbc/sparky-test , easy enough to apply if required.

Yep Allo have been good with some patches.

So the Kernel 3.x hasn't been too much of an issue, for audio anyway.

If someone is using Sparky for other things (which some people do) then the old kernel may be an issue for them.

But for audio and USBridge , the old kernel hasn't really been a problem because Allo have been good with patching when required.

Linux kernel v3.x. If it were updated to v4.x, that's where it would be mentioned
Software configuration control...
To the best of my knowledge, it is the Volumio organisation that produce the software for the USBridge Sparky processor. Perhaps naively, I would therefore assume that they, not Allo, control the configuration of their software and report accurately what changes take place in their changelog.
For the last two updates, the Volumio changelog states:
(Note the line I have underlined and emboldened).

"2.513 (07-12-2018)
FIXES
Fixed crashing bug in UPNP due to incorrect albumart
Fix potential security issue in NAS mounts
Fix Multiroom Device selector
MYVOLUMIO fix to TIDAL login when special characters are included
MYVOLUMIO fix to TIDAL personal playlists

NEW ADDITIONS
Install To Disk added use of eMMC or SD disks
Add version in the plugin information
Add checkcontentformat = 0 to upmpdcli conf

2.502 (31-10-2018)
MYVOLUMIO
TIDAL and QOBUZ native integration
Auto Sync of Favourites, Webradios and Playlist
Remote connection to Volumio devices

NEW ADDITIONS
Add checkcontentformat = 0 to upmpdcli conf
Anonimyze IP for GA
Add multimedia keys support
pi kernel bump to 4.14.71

FIXES
Better handling of error toasts
Fix handling of uncompliant DLNA server
fix volatile default albumart
Fix stop state if no service is defined
Improve volume responsiveness and add disable volume"

So 4.14.71 is there in black and white and that's all I can go on. Have I missed something?

pi kernel bump to 4

Hi Andy. The pi is Raspberry Pi. Not the Sparky board unfortunately.

This is what I mentioned previously - the changelog only mentions Pi kernel bumps, not Sparky...
Software configuration control...
To the best of my knowledge, it is the Volumio organisation that produce the software for the USBridge Sparky processor. Perhaps naively, I would therefore assume that they, not Allo, control the configuration of their software and report accurately what changes take place in their changelog.

For the Volumio OS version number, yes. So as mentioned before, it's great that Volumio for Sparky is now at the same version as Pi.

But the kernel itself is still 3.x. They (and Allo) are waiting for the Sparky maker to bring the kernel up to speed, to version 4.x

As previously mentioned, Allo have been good with some patches.

So the Kernel 3.x hasn't been too much of an issue - for audio anyway.

If someone is using Sparky for other things (which some people do) then the old kernel may be an issue for them.

But for audio and USBridge , the old kernel hasn't really been a problem because Allo have been good with patching on DietPi when required

Last edited:
You can use a USB C adapter of course, for a few $. Pro-Ject need to start including such an adapter in the box.

I think if the uptake of devices supporting USB Type C was humongous, that would be a sensible idea.
But as around 90% of the target market of these devices is still going to be using a device with a USB2/3 A/B connector, that really isn't a cost effective exercise.
If the PC laptop market starts moving with the trend of the Fruity laptop market then it would be sensible, but would need to see some serious uptake of Type-C for that to happen.
No one want's to be adding to that ever growing huge pulsating drawer/box of unused cables in the spare room ;-)

Just a quick update on the screensaver issue, bug or feature. (Windows 10 x64)
Pro-ject install a generic device, in addition to the main audio DAC device, that appears under "human interface devices"
This "HID-compliant consumer control device" effectively stops the idle timer and stops the screensaver being triggered and probably sleep mode.
If you disable this "HID-compliant consumer control device" the screensaver works as normal.
If you go into Device Manager and open the "Human Interface Devices" tab and unplug the S2 and replug you can identify the correct generic device.

old and hidden post, but so useful information and I could not find it anywhere on the web, I was going mad to find out how this nasty DAC blocks screensaver and system suspension, thanks ajs6000!
I can confirm this HID has the only function to make play/next/previous keys on little remote to work, I surely can live without them ;) and FYI my OS is Win10 pro, latest release.

Massimo

Probably good to note that s2d stopped working with IOS, after latest Apple system revision. Locks and playback looks normal, but zero sound at max volume on IPad and s2d.

The new version of JPLAY doesn't work with DSD DoP and also doesn't work with UltraStream (one of JPLAY's playback engine)

Other XMOS DACs shows the same behavior using XMOS driver 4.36 and 4.38. Using a driver 4.45 or 4.47 solves the problem.

I contacted them by facebook and e-mail asking when we should expect a new driver with updated XMOS driver. Let's see how it goes.

So they have released the new driver 4.47 :)

https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/UNI_Project_v4.47.0_2018-09-05_setup.zip

The link will change when they update the S2D page, but this link will work for some days.

So they have released the new driver 4.47 :)

https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/UNI_Project_v4.47.0_2018-09-05_setup.zip

The link will change when they update the S2D page, but this link will work for some days.

Thank you! I will spread the word. This week I've seen posts complaining about driver problems with Windows 10 1809.

After downloading and installing, I can confirm:
* the Pro-Ject website does not yet offer this download, and
* this is a driver update only; it does not include a device firmware update

I just picked one of these up used. It looked as if it had never been opened.

I went to plug the tiny power cable in and it is possible that I have bent it? To use the 5v power cable, i have to push up a bit on the power cable or else it cuts out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I just picked one of these up used. It looked as if it had never been opened.

I went to plug the tiny power cable in and it is possible that I have bent it? To use the 5v power cable, i have to push up a bit on the power cable or else it cuts out. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have one as well but have been extremely careful in unplugging and plugging the DAC due to the amount of posts that I read out there on breaking the outlet. Most uave returned and exchanged without a problem. May want to take the case off to take a closer look. Good luck it can be a fine little DAC but comes with a few finicky’s.

advertisement

Back